Most beautiful chill friend: Julian Bonnoris '17

For the majority of Dartmouth students, the river is something to be enjoyed only for a brief timespan: from the end of spring term to early September — and that’s if you’re lucky.

This isn’t the case for Julian Bonorris ’17, who made it his mission to swim in the river every day of 16F. So far? 100 percent success rate.

“Some ’16 friends got me into the idea of daily dipping,” Bonorris said.

Despite the challenging logistics of this plan — rainy weather, unfavorable temperatures, midterm exhaustion and the long walk to the river — he finds it a fulfilling experience.

“I feel like it cleanses me,” he said. “You go to the river, you’re in nature, maybe you get some leaves in your hair or some dirt on you, and that’s beautiful.”

Bonorris self-classifies as laid back and easygoing. Others often perceive him in a like image.

Yet, while Bonorris welcomes this reputation, he also disclosed that this nonchalant persona recedes when dealing with values or interests that matter to him.

He noted that there are certain identities and passions on campus that deserve energy, such as certain athletic pursuits or an outsider status.

Bonorris’ accepting nature is another one defining characteristic: he said he takes pride in being a person around whom everyone can be themselves.

In the dynamics he has created with his close friends. In prioritizing acceptance and openness with his peers, Bonorris not only finds personal fulfillment but an effective communication mechanism that strengthens bonds with those around him.

“If someone takes the time to open up to you about whatever the issue is, why wouldn’t you want to be receptive to that?”

Offering support and acceptance to his peers has enhanced Bonorris’ education experience and given him a chance to learn outside of Dartmouth’s classrooms.

“Just chatting with people about [big issues] is a form of doing that and a form of improving yourself, challenging your own viewpoints and also giving them an ear, letting them express themselves.”

Bonorris’ openness extends to the many communities and people with whom he interacts. He maintains a diverse group of friends from all facets of campus. While Bonorris has been involved in many areas of campus, from Hanover Croo to Foley House, he diversifies where he spends his time.

“I get a sense of community from just random groups of people,” he said. “Those interactions do a lot for me.”

This comfort in Bonorris’ choosing not to conform amplifies his inner beauty.

“Beauty for me is comfort in oneself,” Bonorris reflected. “If people feel beautiful themselves then that energy gets radiated out into the world and their surroundings.”