The Weekend Roundup: Week Four

Fouls played a big role in women's soccer's loss this past weekend to Yale University. 

Volleyball

The women’s volleyball team fell in both its Ivy League games against Yale University and Brown University this weekend. The Bulldogs swept the Big Green in three sets, 17-5,9-25,20-25, on Friday while the Bears beat Dartmouth, 3-1, on Saturday, 11-25,19-25,25-21,16-25. The Big Green is now 6-9 overall and 0-5 in Ivy play, under first year head coach Gilad Doron.

Emily Astarita ’17 led the Big Green in the contest against Yale with eight kills, eight digs and two block assists. Sierra Lyle ’19 recorded nine digs, while Molly Kornfeind ’17 had five kills.

In the game against Brown, Kaira Lujan ’16 led the Big Green with nine kills followed by Kornfeind and Danielle Glinka ’17, who recorded six kills each. while Corinne Cox ’20 made 13 assists, while Zoë Leonard ’19 made 12. Brown took the first two sets, but the Big Green grabbed the third with dominant play. Brown, however, regained momentum and controlled the fourth set to take home the victory. The Big Green recorded eight team blocks while the Bears recorded 13.

The Big Green return home this weekend to face Cornell University and Columbia University to continue conference play.

Equestrian

The equestrian team had its first show of the season this weekend at Middlebury College. On Saturday, the team tied for Reserve Champion, coming in second to high-scorer of the day Endicott College. Sophie Lenihan ’20 won the Open Fences class, followed by teammates Lilly Higgins ’20 in second and Olivia Champ ’19 in third. Claire Bick ’18 came in second place in the Intermediate Flat class, and co-captain Meg Rauner ’17 won the Novice Flat class, qualifying her for the Intermediate Flat division for the rest of the season. Charlotte Johnstone ’17 came in first in the Walk/Trot class and earned Dartmouth Reserve Champion placing.

On Sunday, the team faced off with nearby colleges at their second show at the University of Vermont. The University of Vermont won the show on home turf, a typical result for a home team given the familiarity with the horses used in the show. Dartmouth tied for Reserve Champion with the University of New Hampshire. Bick won the Intermediate Flat class, and Sophie King ’19 won the Advanced Walk/Trot/Canter class. Johnston came in second in the Walk/Trot class and classed up to Beginner Walk/Trot/Canter. This was ’19 Sue Mohieldin ’19’s first IHSA show, and she won, closing off the weekend with a victory.

Sailing

The Big Green sailing team competed at the David Lee Arnoff Interconference Regatta on Oct. 8 and 9, hosted by Hobart and William Smith Colleges. The team had a strong showing, coming in third with 97 points in a group of 13 teams racing 420s this weekend, only finishing behind Hobart and William Smith Colleges and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. Boston University and Old Dominion University were in attendance, joining Hobart and William Smith and the Big Green as ranked attendees by the Sailing World College Rankings released on Sept. 28. Dartmouth also competed in the Moody Trophy Interconference Regatta in Rhode Island this weekend, racing FJs against 16 other teams. The team came in 10th place, with a total score of 112. Ten of the top 20 teams in the same Sailing World College Rankings were present, seven of which placed ahead of the Big Green.

Cross-Country

The men’s cross country team had a strong showing at the New England Cross Country Championship this weekend, finishing 13th with 318 points. In the 8-kilometer race, Dominic Carrese ’19 led the way for Dartmouth, finishing 26th place with a time of 25 minutes and 27.45 seconds. Sean Laverty ’20 was right behind Carrese with a time of 25:40.70 to put him in 45th place. Benjamin Szuhaj ’19 placed 56th at 25:56.33. Dom Repucci ’20 finished the course in 26:14.27 followed by Will Shafer ’18 at 26:38.67 for 81st and 110th-place, respectively.

The women’s cross country team posted a strong sixth-place finish at the same meet as the men on Saturday at Franklin Park. The team’s top five runners scored 173 points. The University of New Hampshire won with 71 points. Out of 234 competitors, Leigh Moffett ’18 finished fifth overall in the 5-kilometer with a time of 17:58.88 to lead the Big Green. Lauren Sapone ’20 ran 18:25.43 on the course and placed 20th. Eliza Dekker ’19 and Julia Stevenson ’20 also had top-30 finishes and placed 24th and 27th, respectively. Allison Anderson ’20 also scored for the team, coming in 97th overall.

Up next, the men’s and women’s teams will compete in the NCAA Pre-Meet in Terre Haute, Indiana on Saturday.

Football

In their 100th matchup in program history, the football team fell, 21-13, to Yale University at the Yale Bowl on Saturday in front of a crowd of over 9,000 fans. Dartmouth stands at 2-2 overall and 0-2 in conference play, while the Bulldogs are 1-3 overall and 1-1 in league play.

Dartmouth scored first, off a 13-yard touchdown by Stephen Johnston ’18 to lead 7-0. David Smith ’18 kicked a 26-yard field goal to put the Big Green up, 10-0, with a minute left in the first quarter.

However, Yale dominated the second quarter, scoring two touchdowns and lead 14-10 at halftime. In the third quarter, Smith scored another field goal, but the Bulldogs answered with a 43-yard touchdown run by Alan Lamar to extend its lead and put the game away.

Junior quarterback Jack Heneghan ’18 went 32-57 and threw 348 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions. One of Heneghan’s interceptions came late in the fourth quarter with the Big Green in the red zone. Drew Hunnicutt ’19 led the Big Green’s wide receivers with five catches for 77 yards and a long of 36.

The Big Green will play Towson University, who is 1-4 overall and 0-3 in CAA play, on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. on Memorial Field.

Men's Soccer

After defeating the University of New Hampshire, 1-0, last Wednesday, the men’s soccer team continued its successful run with a win over Yale University, 2-0, in its second Ivy League game. The Big Green now stands at 3-2-5 overall and 1-0-1 in Ivy play. The Bulldogs has a 1-4-2 overall record and a 0-1-1 conference record.

In a tight first half, the Big Green was able to find a breakthrough right before halftime with an unassisted goal from Matt Danilack ’18 in the 41st minute of play. The men continued with their offensive attack and increased the lead with a goal by Matt Greer ’18 off a pass from Justin Donawa ’19 and Noah Paravicini ’19 in the 61st minute. Dartmouth’s superb defense mangaged to hold Yale’s attack for the rest of the game, especially with four saves by co-captain James Hickok ’17. Dartmouth led in shots 10-6 and corner kicks, 2-0. However, Dartmouth did record more fouls than Yale, 10-8, including two yellow cards and a red card for Donawa.

Dartmouth will host the University of Pennsylvania at 4 p.m this Saturday.

Women's Soccer

The Dartmouth women’s soccer team fell, 1-0, to Yale University in its third Ivy League game of the season. The Big Green is now 6-5-0 overall and 0-3-0 in Ivy play.

The first half was slow for both teams with each only making two shots. In the second half, the Bulldogs scored a goal in the 72nd minute after Yale’s Noelle Higginson took a shot from the 18 yards away to the top of the net. The away team closed the game out despite pressure from the Big Green. Despite outshooting the Bulldogs 9-5, the Big Green could not score with Yale outsaving Dartmouth, 7-2. Yale’s Aerial Chavarin earned a yellow card in the 89th minute of play, reflecting the Bulldogs aggressive style, which earned the team 10 fouls compared to Dartmouth’s four.

The Big Green returns to Burnham Field to host the University of Pennsylvania at 7 p.m.

Women's Tennis

The women’s tennis team performed well in Yale University’s Bulldog Invitational in New Haven, Connecticut this past weekend. On Friday, the team beat Yale, 2-1, in doubles and 5-2 in singles. Co-captain Jacqueline Crawford ’17 and Chuyang Guan ’20 beat Yale’s Sherry Li and Amy Yang, 6-4, in doubles, while Allison Chuang ’19 and Racquel Lyn ’20 beat Sunday Swett and Caroline Lynch, 6-2. Taylor Ng ’17, Crawford, Lyn, Guan and Allison McCann ’20 also won their singles matches.

On day two, the women faced Boston College and won one doubles match and three singles games. Crawford and McCann beat the Eagles’ Dasha Possokohova and Emily Safron, 7-5, before Crawford took Possokhova down in her singles match, 7-5, 6-2.

She continued her streak on Sunday against Stony Brook University by beating Devanshi Bhimjiyani and Ester Chikvashivili, 6-1 with Guan. Crawford also beat Bhimjiyani in singles, 6-0, 6-0, to cap off her six-match win streak. In doubles, Ng and Lyn beat their opponents, 6-2, while Shannon Mukerji ’18 and McCann won their match, 6-3.

The women will enjoy a break before returning to action on Oct. 20 with the ITA Northeast Regional Championship in New Haven once again.

Men's Tennis

In the first day of action at the Dartmouth Invitational this past Friday, the men’s tennis team went 6-2 in singles games against players from Brown University, Yale University, Amherst College and Binghamton University. In the first round, Max Fliegner ’18 and David Horneffer ’20 defeated their Brown and Binghamton opponents with great showings of 6-1, 7-5 and 6-2, 6-4, respectively. Diego Pedraza ’17 and Max Schmidt ’17 overtook their opponents in the second draw, while Eddie Grabill ’19 did so in the third draw. Roko Glasnovic ’19 and Paul Midgley ’18 lost close matches against Yale and Binghamton players in the third and fourth draws. Joey Haig ’19 closed out the first day with a final win against a Binghamton opponent in the fifth draw.

The team followed up with an 8-1 finish in singles and a 5-3 record in doubles on the second day. Fliegner, Horneffer, Pedraza, Schmidt and Grabill had big wins in the first and second draws. Glasnovic won his game in the consolation semifinal, 6-3, 6-2. Doubles also went well for the Big Green, with Glasnovic and Pedraza winning their quarterfinal match against the Binghamton team in the first draw before losing to the Yale team in the semifinal. Horneffer and Schmidt beat Brown in the quarterfinal of draw one, 8-5, and defeated Yale in the semifinal with a score of 8-6. However, Yale defeated Fliegner and Haig in the quarterfinal, 8-4, but the duo was able to win its consolation semifinal against Binghamton team, 8-4. Grabill and Midgley defeated Yale in the quarterfinal, 8-6, but fell to Brown in the semifinal.

In the final day, the team finished 4-1 in singles and 3-1 in doubles. Fliegner and Haig both finished with two wins in doubles and three wins in singles. The duo beat Amherst, 8-6, while Glasnovic and Pedraza beat Yale, 8-6.

The Big Green will look to improve upon its record and continue its success when it travels to Philadelphia for the ITA Northeast Regional Championship on Oct. 20.

Field Hockey

The Big Green fell to the University of Pennsylvania 0-1 on Friday at Chase AstroTurf Field and fell at No. 1 University of Connecticut 2-9 on Sunday. The Big Green stand at 3-8 and 0-3 in Ivy play.

Goalkeeper Emma Plumb ’20 made 10 saves versus Penn before the goal in double overtime. The Big Green defensive unit stayed together after Penn came out strong towards the end of the second half. Penn was able to find the goal coming in the second overtime.

Penn dominated Dartmouth on offense, outshooting the Big Green 27-7.

No. 1 UConn subdued the Big Green on Sunday by controlling the game and having a strong defensive structure. Dartmouth fell 9-2 against the only unbeaten team in field hockey in the country. The Big Green’s all-time record is 0-19-2 against the Huskies.

UConn outshot the Big Green 42-5. The Huskies won back-to-back National Championships in 2013 and 2014, giving the Big Green a reason to keep its head held high. Still, the loss is the Big Green’s fifth in a row.

Dartmouth returns home on Saturday to play Yale University at Chase AstroTurf Field at noon.