Men's hockey to advance to ECAC Quarterfinals

by Sam Stockton | 3/6/16 5:12pm

Men's Ice hockey vs. Colgate

The men’s hockey team advanced to the ECAC quarterfinals by knocking off Colgate University in a thrilling best-of-three series at Thompson Arena that ended tonight with a 4-3 double overtime win. Both of the Big Green's wins required more than 60 minutes of play.

On Friday the Big Green won 3-2 in overtime, but fell 5-3 to the Raiders on Saturday.

In the first game of the series, captain Brad Schierhorn ’16, who had scored just twice all season with one goal being an empty-netter, notched his first career hat trick, and the Big Green overcame a 2-1 deficit to win 3-2 in overtime. James Kruger ’16 made 20 saves, including four in overtime, to earn the win in net for the Big Green.

In game two, the Raiders rode a three-goal second period to a 5-3 victory that sent the series to a third game. In the loss, the Big Green controlled the play and fired 43 shots on Colgate netminder Charlie Finn but were undone by a late power play goal by Darcy Murphy. Kruger, who stopped 24 Raider shots, took the loss.

For the decisive third game of the series, coach Bob Gaudet ’81, unwilling to start Kruger three days in a row, turned to Charles Grant ’16 in net. The Big Green rallied from three different one-goal deficits, two of which came in the game’s final period, before Tim O’Brien ’16 rifled home the game-winner in double overtime.

The Big Green played the entire series without key contributors Ryan Bullock ’16 who was injured and Corey Kalk ’18 who the coach decided not to play due to Kalk's violation of team rules. Jack Barre ’16, who was recently named first-team All-Ivy League, played only a few shifts on Friday night before going down with an upper body injury. Next weekend, the Big Green will travel to New Haven, Connecticut to take on Yale University in another best-of-three series for the right to advance to the ECAC Semifinals.

The full version of this article will be published on Tuesday.