No Winter Carnival sculpture to be built

No snow sculpture will be built on the Green this year as part of Winter Carnival activities, director of the Collis Center Anna Hall said.

Harrison Perkins ’18, chair of the Winter Carnival Council, said the reasons underlying this decision are both a lack of snow and a lack of student participation in building the sculpture the past few years.

“The main factor obviously was weather — the Green is greener now, there’s not really any snow,” Perkins said. “The second factor was a lack of student support in building the actual sculpture in the past few years.”

There is a possibility that snow could be brought in to build the sculpture, but that decision has not been finalized.

“We’re exploring all the options we have available to us,” Hall said.

Other weather-dependent Carnival events, such as pond party and the dogsled race, may still happen, but the decision on whether to hold these events will be made closer to Carnival weekend, Hall said. Non-weather dependent programming, such as ice sculpture building, is still happening, Hall added.

Since the tradition began in 1925, the only other Winter Carnival with no snow sculpture occurred 1989, when a lack of snow hindered students from building it.

This article will be updated as more information becomes available.

Erin Lee contributed reporting.