Interfraternity Council sees second vacancy in two terms

Citing the feeling that Greek life was no longer a good fit for him, Interfraternity Council vice president John Comerci ’16 stepped down from his position after his recent disaffiliation from his fraternity, Psi Upsilon, Comerci wrote in an email.

“He decided for his own reasons to disaffiliate from Psi U, and in doing so he chose to step down from the IFC as well,” IFC public relations and outreach coordinator James Verhagen ’16 said.

Comerci has served as IFC’s vice president since last spring.

IFC president Sam Macomber ’16 did not disclose Comerci’s specific reasoning or motivation for disaffiliating from Psi U, but said the IFC fully stands behind Comerci.

“We are in total support of his decision and are grateful for his service,” Macomber said. “[Comerci] was a great member of the IFC and the Greek system will miss his involvement, but we know he will make incredibly meaningful contributions wherever he chooses to devote his time and energy.”

Macomber emphasized that Comerci has been in communication with the IFC regarding his decision and is “very much in good standing” with both the council and his fraternity.

Comerci likewise expressed gratitude for his time with the IFC’s leaders and spoke of his wishes for its future, saying that he is looking forward to seeing what the council accomplishes this coming year.

The process of replacing Comerci will begin promptly, Macomber said. Verhagen said fraternity presidents have been notified of the upcoming transition.

Verhagen said presidents of member house organizations will nominate candidates from their organization as they see fit. Members of the IFC will vote on these potential replacements along with chapter presidents at a meeting.

Macomber said the meeting will likely take place next week.

Comerci’s spot is not the only current vacancy in the IFC. Chase Gilmore ’16, the IFC’s former president, left the president spot vacant when he stepped down from his position last spring when his fraternity, Alpha Delta, was derecognized by the College.

In Gilmore’s absence, Macomber — formerly a treasurer — assumed the role of president of the council, while then-secretary Dan Pham ’16 took on the role of treasurer, leaving his former position open. According to the IFC Executive Board online listing, Pham is currently IFC treasurer and secretary.

Macomber said the secretary position will also be filled through the election of nominees from member organizations. He said current IFC members may run for the position if they wish, and then the vacancies they leave will be open to nominated candidates.

Macomber said in the interim between Comerci’s departure and replacement, the other members of the IFC will collectively fulfill his duties.

Though Comerci is the second IFC executive to depart since the new executive board took their positions in the spring, Macomber remained firm in his emphasis that the IFC has still been effective and successful in its responsibilities.

“I think that the IFC remains devoted to providing the best possible Greek experience for students at Dartmouth,” Macomber said.

Verhagen explained how, even when Gilmore disassociated from the council, he still remained an active voice from an advisory position. He also said Comerci worked steadily with the IFC through the spring. He said these two instances have, despite the frequent transitions, given the council sufficient stability.

“I think that there’s been enough continuity to make us an effective council,” Verhagen said.

Verhagen said he is not sure whether or not Comerci will remain involved in the IFC through a similar advisory position.

Macomber said that Comerci was an asset to the council and reiterated that the entire IFC supports his decision.

“We did love having [Comerci] as part of IFC,” Macomber said. “He did a great job, and we fully support his decision.”