Dartmouth’s 43rd powwow attracts visitors from around the region

[slideshow_deploy id='115596'] In the early hours of Saturday morning, the Green transformed into a bustling, communal space for Native Americans students at Dartmouth to celebrate the 43rd annual powwow. With the scent of frybread and bison burgers wafting across the Green, vendors showcased their handcrafted artistry, performers danced in traditional regalia and flags hung to honor Native tribes.

A two-day event spanning Saturday and Sunday, Dartmouth’s powwow is the second largest student-run powwow on the East Coast. This year’s student powwow committee consisted of 23 freshmen and sophomores headed by co-presidents Kohar Avakian ’17 and Maggie Seawright ’17, who began planning the event early last fall. The co-presidents said they felt confident that powwow is an asset that increases awareness of Native American culture as a part of the Dartmouth community.

“Powwow is a good way to foster understanding and future dialogue, as well as being a celebration of the Native community.” Seawright said.

Seawright said that powwow is not only a show, but also a “deep celebration of tradition.”

“It’s a celebration of resiliency and the fact that we are still here, acknowledging one another,” she said. “It’s beautiful to see the solidarity and the presence of Native people from all over the nation.”

Seawright and Avakian said because powwow is a meaningful cultural experience for those in the community, attendees should be aware of Native traditions.

“First and foremost, [come] with the upmost respect for the event,” Seawright said. “There are some cultural norms that you don’t want to break.”

For instance, Seawright said that taking photographs at the event without the permission of those being photographed would be culturally insensitive.

Avakian said that having respect for the dancers and “knowing whose space it is” shows appreciation for the people who committed their time and effort to the event.

Don Barnaby, a member of Listuguj Mi’gmaq First Nation, returned this year as master of ceremonies. Other members of the head staff included arena director Roger White Eyes, head man dancer Taylor Keen, head woman dancer Leah Hopkins and host drum Mystic River, a northern drum group.

Barnaby said that powwows have led him down the right path and away from corrupting influences.

“It saved my life,” Barnaby said. “When I set my drink down and went into the circle, I set my spirit free and all it wanted to do was dance. Dancing is more important to me than drinking and drugging.”

Barnaby said that to him, powwow is a celebration of song and dance.

“We sing and dance for those who cannot sing and dance,” he said. “Powwow, to me, is medicine. I come to powwow to feed my spirit.”

This year’s powwow showcased the smoke dance, a special performance unique to Northeastern tribes. Since Dartmouth was built on Abenaki territory, Barnaby said he hoped to bring more awareness to the communities that are native to the area.

“I’m always respectful of the territory I’m in, to give them the recognition and proper respect that their people are alive and well,” he said.

Barnaby also said that powwow is about education.

“There is still a stereotype surrounding [Native Americans],” he said. “It brings awareness that we are still here.”

Former College President John Kemeny founded the Native American Program in 1971. The first powwow was held in 1973 at Storrs Pond. As the event grew larger, it moved to the BEMA and finally to the Green, where is it still held today.

Kimonee Burke ’18, co-president of Native Americans at Dartmouth and member of the powwow advertising committee, said she feels that powwow plays an important part in raising awareness of Native Americans in the Dartmouth community.

“Everything in NAD is completely public,” Burke said. “I feel that it’s a group people forget about a lot. It’s assumed we’re a very exclusive group, which just isn’t the case.”

Native Hawaiians Kalei Akau ’18 and Heidi Ahn ’18 said they both felt that they found a home away from home here at Dartmouth through NAD.

“The Native community is one of the biggest reason why I decided to come to Dartmouth,” Akau said. “Even though I’m not necessarily Native American, NAD is a place that is really inclusive of all cultures, indigenous or other cultures in general. They allow me to express my Native identity.”

The powwow began with the blessing of the granite early Saturday morning. The blessing of the granite is a ritual in which the ground, in this case the Green, is made sacred.

Ahn said that even though the blessing was not organic to her culture, she felt connected because she saw many similarities with Hawaiian cultural ceremonies. Native American culture feels like a “sister culture” to her Hawaiian heritage, she said.

“It brought me back to my culture,” she said.

This year’s event is estimated to cost over $20,000, Avakian said. NAD, The President’s Office, Special Planning Events Committee, The Native American Alumni Association of Dartmouth College and the Native American Program helped sponsor the powwow.