United Way fundraising period closes

Fundraising for this year’s Dartmouth United Way campaign ended on Saturday, Feb. 14 without reaching the goal of raising $320,000, Dartmouth United Way campaign co-chair Gail Gentes said.

The full amount raised is still unclear, Granite United Way relationship manager Katie Kobe wrote in an email. The final amount raised will only be determined once the fiscal year ends on March 31, Kobe said. As of Jan. 23, the campaign had raised $252,000 of the $320,000 goal. Kobe noted that although the campaign ended, many match dollars may still come in the next few weeks.

Last year, Dartmouth United Way raised a record-breaking $305,956, surpassing its $300,000 goal. Gentes said the $320,000 goal this year was ambitious and she is not disappointed by the outcome of the campaign.

Gentes said that she hopes the campaign reached the same amount as the campaign raised last year. Gentes said that they exceeded the goal of attracting 100 new donors by 100 additional contributors. She noted that United Way also introduced online donations this year and that the implementation of the new system ran smoothly.

Dartmouth United Way began providing funding to non-profits in the Upper Valley over 40 years ago as a member of the larger statewide organization Granite United Way.

Kobe said that the success of this year’s fundraising came from the support from College President Phil Hanlon and Gentes’ decision to match $25 for all donations as well as departmental match commitments.

Gentes said that in order to raise awareness and fundraise, United Way held a number of small events where the agencies applying for funding gave small presentations and held question and answer sessions. Gentes said these events put a face to who was receiving donors’ contributions.

She said that this year’s campaign saw increased effectiveness of the communication of United Way’s message through department coordinators.

“We try to reach as many people as we can to educate them about the work that United Way is doing,” Gentes said.

Gentes said that donors contributed to the “health and well-being of the community in which we live.”

Cynthia Crutchfield, a member of the Dartmouth United Way steering committee, said that the success of this year’s campaign was a result of the enthusiasm of those involved. She said that department coordinators played a key role in raising awareness.

Crutchfield said that giving agencies the opportunity to interact with potential donors benefited both parties.

Agencies had a chance to explain their cause and potential donors had the opportunity to see where their donations would be going.

“Each year we get better and better at connecting with the individuals and educating them,” Crutchfield said.

She said that the use of different forms of media allowed them to develop a more cohesive and comprehensive communication plan.

Kathleen Vanni ’15, a member of national Greek honor society the Order of Omega, was involved in raising awareness during the fall term.

Vanni said that the society had a postcard campaign to raise awareness for poverty in the Upper Valley. This campaign consisted of writing postcards to potential donors, which highlighted the lack of donations.

The importance of United Way’s work becomes evident when one understands the issues the Upper Valley faces, she said. Vanni noted the necessity of supporting an organization that aims to help local charities.