Editors' Note

When we were approached to be this spring’s Mirror editors, we panicked. Neither of us had much experience with The Mirror. One of us (you have a 50-50 shot at guessing!) had never actually opened an issue of The Mirror before.

But our chemistry was undeniable — even though we had never met. Over spring break, we eagerly exchanged flitzes (and also sent out story assignments), finally arriving in the office this week with distinct expectations. We thought that our inbox would be flooded with hilarious overheards and that we would be hard pressed to pick just five for the week. Alas, this is not the case. We barely received two. Can you all become better eavesdroppers? We thought that spending our Thursdays in The D’s office would be miserable, but actually we’ve managed to smile a few times. We thought there would be sunshine and flowers on campus. There are not. After reading this note, your expectations for this term’s Mirror are probably exceedingly low. We hope you’re wrong.

As incoming freshmen, Jasmine dreamed of being educated alongside the likes of future Nobel prize winners and presidents, perhaps becoming one herself, and Emma anticipated that she would study exclusively in the mystical Tower Room and that her TAS would expand her intellectual horizons. Sadly, our expectations often failed to meet reality. This week, high school seniors all over the world will buy their Dartmouth ’18 shirts and dream similarly misguided dreams. If there’s anything we learned this week, it’s that history repeats itself.