One-on-One

This week I sat down with Alex Mitola ’16, the starting point guard on the men’s basketball team, to discuss the team’s season so far. The team lost to Harvard University 50-80 yesterday at Leede Arena, dropping to 7-9, 0-2 Ivy this season. After a 7-4 start, the team has now lost five in a row as it heads into the teeth of its Ancient Eight schedule, preparing to host the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton University next weekend.

Throughout the 16 games this season, the sophomore from New Jersey has averaged 9.8 points per game, 2.75 assists and 2.65 rebounds. Last season, he averaged 11.3 points per game in 28 played. Against the Crimson on Sunday afternoon, Mitola went 0-3 from the floor and did not score.

The team now faces the challenge of replacing Gabas Maldunas ’15, who is out for the remainder of the season with a knee injury. Maldunas led the team in both points and rebounds.

First off, how has the season been going so far?

AM: We’re on a losing streak, and we just lost one of our best players, so we’re facing some adversity. We’re taking it as a challenge, though, to see what we’re really made of. We have the whole Ivy League schedule ahead of us to try to make the most of it and win the League.

What specifically is the team working on in practice to improve?

AM: Losing [Maldunas] changes our season a lot because he’s a big part of both the offense and the defense. Offensively, we have to make little adjustments, and people have to step up to fill his role. And then defensively, [Maldunas] is a good shot blocker and rebounder so we’re making a concerted effort to rebound without him and just changing our defense a little bit. We’re trying to pick up more charges and play more team defense.

Off the court, what is the team chemistry like this year?

AM: It’s great. Everyone goes out together and eats together. It’s nice to see how close everyone can get so quickly. Especially with the freshmen, we all feel like we’ve known them for longer than four months.

How have the five freshmen contributed to the team?

AM: They’ve all been injured. Mike [Fleming ’17] was out for a couple of weeks. Eli [Harrison ’17] was coming back from an injury. Cole [Harrison ’17] had mono for two months so he hasn’t been with us. Ike [Ngwudo ’17] still hasn’t played. I think he might either red shirt this year or possibly take the year off and come back next year because he’s coming off hip surgery. And then Wes [Dickinson ’17] had an ankle injury. But they’ve all just kept pushing, which shows so much about the character of the players. They know they’re freshmen, and they have to earn everything they can get.

What has been the biggest difference for you between your freshman and sophomore years?

AM: I’ve been around the program an extra year, so I can be more of a leader and help the younger guys learn on the court and off the court. Basketball-wise everything is about the same. It’s just that I have a better feel of the season and what to expect from games.

Does the team have any pre-game rituals?

AM: Everyone has their own thing. Certain people are superstitious. I, personally, like to be one of the first people there and get some shots in before the game. But then our captain, Tyler [Melville ’14], who plays alongside me all the time, likes to be the last person to get there and get his pre-game nap in before the game. We’ve had a few nights where we’ll have a team dinner and a movie in the team room the night before a game, but that’s about it.

This interview has been edited and condensed.