Women's soccer keeps up momentum with road win over Yale

10.14.13.sports.wsoccer
10.14.13.sports.wsoccer

"I think we came out really strong," co-captain Emma Brush '13 said. "We realized pretty quickly that we could not only possess the ball but really drive forward."

Brush scored the only goal of the game in the 36th minute, heading in a cross from Corey Delaney '16 while making a run into a crowded box. The play represented a successful execution of team strategy going into the match.

"We wanted to get the ball into wide space," coach Theresa Romagnolo said. "There was a lot of space to exploit and chances to create. The midfield was key on making the right decisions on the ball."

Offensively, the Big Green's (5-4-2, 2-1-0 Ivy) ferocity kept the Bulldogs on their toes, boasting 26 shots to Yale's 10. The two teams had similar shots on goal percentages, though, with Dartmouth posting a .38 and Yale coming out slightly on top with a .40.

"I think we could have finished more chances," Romangolo said. "We had a lot of shots on goal especially in the first half, but I think we need to capitalize on more of our opportunities so we don't allow teams to stay in the game."

Yale's attack tested Dartmouth's early dominance in the second.

"I think that they came out really hard after halftime," co-captain Kim Rose '13 said. "They were down a goal and they knew that they needed to get one, so it became a back-and-forth game. They were taking more risks, so we had to take less risks and play more defensively."

In the face of a more aggressive attack, the defense again confirmed their solidarity, denying every Yale shot on goal for 90 straight minutes. The scoreless opponents are the seventh team to be shut out by Dartmouth's defense this season.

"I'm really proud of what the defense is doing," Romagnolo said. "The first weekend of play we allowed seven goals in two games, but we've since changed up our formation. The key is that we are committed to our one on one defending, and we are covering."

Praises have long been sung of veteran keeper Tatiana Saunders '15, who encountered a penalty kick in the 84th minute that elicited protest from players and spectators alike.

"Apparently they filmed the game, and they showed the replay of the foul multiple times," Rose said. "Basically everyone disagreed with the call. We felt the referee was a little biased toward them throughout the game, but we were really confident in her to come up huge for us. She did a really good job of intimidating her, and I think her position in the goal threw her off."

The shot was ultimately off target and sailed completely over the goal,a relief for the defense who otherwise protected Saunders from Yale's skillful offense.

"We knew they had some talented strikers," Brush said. "Our defense was focused on getting a shut out, and I wasn't really worried because I'm very confident in them. We cannot really afford to tie."

Both defensive and offensive counterparts pulled their weight, as every win and loss is now decisive in taking home the Ivy title. Brown University, who edged Dartmouth out of a win in the Ivy opener this season, is 2-0-1. Harvard University, who will meet the Big Green Nov. 2, remains undefeated. The University of Pennsylvania, Dartmouth's next Ivy opponent, is on a three-game win streak.

"Penn is away, so it's another difficult environment," Brush said. "I think the win over Yale was huge because we had our first away goal since the first game of the season. We are going to take a lot of momentum from this moving forward."

With their sights set on the Ivy title, the Dartmouth women look to mounting intensity and increasing momentum to carry them through the rest of the season.

"There is no easy game," Romagnolo said. "I think it's a kind of win or go home mentality. You have to stay in that urgency until the whistle blots. I was really proud of the way they came out against Yale, especially considering that it was Yale's alumni day."

The Big Green brings the fight back home to Burnham Field, playing Boston University on Wednesday at 7 p.m.