Farmers Market concludes on Wed.

10.10.13.news.farmersmarket
10.10.13.news.farmersmarket

Vendors said they saw slight sales increases this season, possibly due to good weather on Wednesdays.

Conferences and events manager Jim Alberghini oversees Dartmouth's participation and meets with the market's manager Sally Wilson every year to assess areas for improvement.

The Farmers Market, sponsored by the Hanover Chamber of Commerce, began six years ago, originally in the parking lot behind Talbots on Lebanon Street.

The market moved to the Green a year later, following discussion between the College and the town of Hanover.

"It took a while for us to come to a way to make it work," Alberghini said. "We wanted to find a way to make the market happen, but we had to make some exceptions to the usual policies."

Wilson said the College administrators embraced the idea of moving the Farmers Market.

"I think something fairly unique is that Dartmouth, the town of Hanover and the Chamber of Commerce all work together to put this on," she said.

Since its inception, the fair has steadily shifted sales from crafts to prepared food, which has higher demand among students.

This year, agriculture stands comprised about half of the market. Most others sold prepared food and the rest featured crafts.

Students, local residents, faculty and vendors stressed the community-centric ambience of the market, which sets it apart from markets in neighboring towns.

Bands performing live music every week also contribute to the social atmosphere. Yesterday's market featured the bluegrass band the Foggy Mountain Boys, which traditionally performs during the opening and closing markets every season.

One of the most popular stands among students is Howl'n Good Kettle Corn. Stand managers Doug and Debbie Howland have been selling at the market since its second year and have been working at other local farmers markets, including the Lebanon and Newport markets, for 10 years.

Debbie Howland said her favorite parts of the market are the "gorgeous setting" and "interacting with students and different Dartmouth workers that we've come to know after a few years."

Shannon Gainer, an employee at Basin Farm's stand, said the market is more exciting than the one in Keene.

The Basin Farm, which has a store in Westminster, Vt., works with students enrolled in an organic farming class on a project over sophomore summer.

Doug Henry has been selling his art collection, titled CAMPUSscapes of Dartmouth, at the Hanover Farmers Market for three years. His collection is inspired by Dartmouth's history and is created with acrylic paints on canvas and wood.

"What I love about Dartmouth is the history of it," said Henry, who began working on the collection around four years ago. "Throughout the College, there are just these beautiful, iconic buildings, and all of them have a history attached to them, so that's what I love doing capturing that, telling the story of Dartmouth through my paintings."

French and Italian professor Annabelle Cone said she has attended the market since its inception and favors the falafel, fresh produce and berries stands.

"When the music is good like it is today, it's nice to sit down and eat my lunch and listen to the music and feel like I'm in some more urban, cosmopolitan place," Cone said.

Tyler Moragne '14, who attends the Farmers Market every Wednesday, said he enjoys the local aspect of the market but wishes there were more sandwiches and prepared food.

Sam Hefler '16 praised the market festivities, calling it a "nice little exhale, a breath out."

"It's fun to see everyone," he said. "Everyone comes out, it's a very relaxing time of day."