CHaD Hero raises $650,000

10.21.13.news.CHAD
10.21.13.news.CHAD

The event raised more than $650,000 for the hospital and saw record-breaking participation numbers, CHaD community relations director Sharon Brown said. In addition to the races, the day featured live music, food vendors and an obstacle course. For children of race participants, CHaD set up the "Positive Tracks KidZone," including a climbing wall, a bouncy castle and mechanical safari animal rides.

Event coordinator Nathan Larson said the event began in 2006 by CHaD volunteer Jeffrey Hastings. The first race featured 700 runners in the half marathon and raised about $125,000.

This year marks the second time the event has been held in the fall, a change that dramatically increased participation, Brown said. In previous years the event was held during the August interim between summer and fall terms, which made it difficult for Dartmouth students to participate.

"There was just nobody around," Brown said.

Last year, the event saw over 2,800 community members participate and raised over $570,000.

The money raised from the half marathon and 5K walk/run go directly to a fund for the children's hospital and helps to pay for services and support items, such as toys, for children.

"It helps cover everything insurance doesn't cover," Larson said.

Dartmouth students and Upper Valley residents finished in the top 10 of the half marathon and 5K walk and run. Eric Edelstein '13 Th'14 placed second overall in the 5K with a 18:13, and Will Peisch '16 placed eighth overall in 19:49. In the half marathon, Luke Wallace '16 placed sixth overall with a time of 1:19:10.

In the men's half marathon and 5K races, Joshua Steffen of New London and Rob Edson of Hanover took the top spots with times of 1:14:27 and 17:59, respectively.

For the women, Hanover resident Devin Parker won the half marathon with a time of 1:27:16, while Meghan Call of New London came in first in the 5K with a time of 18:29.

Event coordinators and participants said the community presence made the event successful and enjoyable.

Brown highlighted the involvement of Dartmouth students, specifically the help of Big Green athletes, as a memorable part of the day. She said 170 students from various teams lined up at the end of kids zone race to give high fives and pin medals on youth participants.

"We're thrilled with the turnout from Dartmouth," she said. "You see people really getting into the spirit of what it means to be a hero."

Half marathon participant Susanna Kalaris '16 enjoyed the intercommunity interaction.

"It was great to see so many Upper Valley community members supporting their families and friends, since most Dartmouth students don't have a chance to interact with the outside community," she said. "What really kept me going was seeing so many families out working together."

James Ragan '16 said running in the half marathon was more than just a competition.

"It's not only a personal challenge, it's also a community challenge," he said "They always rise to the occasion."

Though CHaD Hero is meant primarily for Upper Valley residents, some participants traveled to Hanover to take part in the event.

Rick Leary '84, who flew in from Chicago, returned to reunite with Dartmouth and the Upper Valley.

"I came to enjoy all the Upper Valley has to offer and to reconnect with old Dartmouth friends," he said

He added that the weather for the race added to his enjoyment.

"The conditions couldn't have been more perfect," he said. "It is just idyllic, simply idyllic."