Student Spotlight: Victoria Li '16

Li's site features text posts detailing her latest adventures exploring new foods.

It all began one summer night this past July when Victoria Li '16's adventures as a food blogger first took off.

In the early morning hours, she decided to create "Hunger is the Best Chef" to feature dishes based on YouTube cooking videos.

Her work blossomed through a natural interest in what she had seen on social media.

"In high school, I did a lot of activities that I felt was expected of me," Li said. "Sure I had fun, but I wanted something that I would truly fall in love with. A guilty pleasure of mine is watching food [programs] on YouTube, from cooking tutorials to international food."

After discovering her passion for food culture, Li launched her own site dedicated to the art of exploring food through photography and blogging.

"I wanted this past summer to be more meaningful," she said.

Her site features text posts detailing her latest adventures exploring new foods. Li said she sees blogging as a unique platform for communicating messages that show off her interests.

"The importance of blogging is that you now have a record," Li said of the medium. "You go beyond eating that dish or relishing someone's outfit. Writing forces you to look beyond the surface."

Li posts original photographs on her blog, which help capture the same excitement in food that she sees for a wider audience.

"After taking several food pictures at the Hester Street Fair [in New York City], I realized that I could capture the beauty and deliciousness of food in a picture. Once I eat it, it's gone but a picture lasts forever."

Li ultimately sees blogging as an accessible means for her audiences to share in her adventures.

"As opposed to journaling, everyone can access your blog," Li said. "Not many people know of my interest in food, so I thought blogging would be a good way to introduce my friends to another side of me."

Li is currently studying this fall in Beijing on a language study abroad program, where she will continue blogging about her experiences overseas, she said.

"Being on the China LSA+ and studying, it has become increasingly difficult to find time to blog but I will persevere and make time," Li said.