Harris '13 running for Va. office

While some recent graduates are settling into new careers ranging from finance to education, Colin Harris '13, has been combing the rolling hills of Virginia's farmland seeking support in his bid for the state's House of Delegates.

Harris, who graduated this past June, spent the last nine months organizing his campaign to represent Virginia's District 18, which encompasses portions of Fauquier, Warren, Culpeper, Rappahannock counties and his hometown of Orlean.

After filing campaign paperwork in January and receiving the local Democratic Party nomination this past spring, Harris has been going door-to-door to rally support in his attempt to unseat his opponent, Republican incumbent Michael Webert.

Harris said he is running in part because of the political climate in the Virginia State House.

"I'm running to try turn back the tide of vicious partisanship in Richmond," he said. "I'm trying to bring some bipartisanship back."

He also outlined his concerns about what he views to be "unbelievable government intervention" in individuals' daily lives. Harris cited examples of recent legislation the house passed including a controversial bill requiring women to undergo an external ultrasound prior to an abortion. As a result, Harris' campaign boils down to issues of local control.

"I'm running on a platform to keep the zoning power with the county seats," he said. "The great untold story of American politics is states depriving counties of the their power."

The race between Harris, 22, and Webert, 33, is notable because of both candidates' youth and is the youngest race in the current cycle for the House of Delegates, Harris said.

Although the general election is not until Nov. 5, the candidates' fundraising efforts are in full swing. Harris has raised $86,357 to Webert's $84,806, according to the Virginia Public Access Project.

Harris has raised money from local businesses and personal contacts and claims to have raised more money than any Democratic candidate for the House of Delegates since 2001.

Harris is running as a Democrat in a predominately conservative Republican district, where the last Democrat to hold office was Creigh Deeds, who defeated Republican Michael Collins by a 50 percent margin in 1999.

In the last presidential election, Mitt Romney carried by a margin of 58 percent to 40 percent. Additionally, Webert won against his Democratic opponent in 2011 with approximately 70 percent of the vote.

Regardless of the state's demographics, Harris said he is confident in his chances. Harris's campaign has hired a manager and treasurer.

"I think it's really good," he said. "Certainly I've had the strongest shot in a long, long time."

One volunteer, Vivien Rendleman '16, who acted as Harris' field director this past summer, said in an email that Harris faces challenges in the race ahead.

"Obviously, Colin is young, having just graduated Dartmouth, but his politics are sound and he's very, very smart," she said in the email. "Hopefully the residents of the 18th district of Virginia realize that."

Rendleman met Harris last winter, when she discovered that they were the only Dartmouth students from Fauquier County.

The two shared a mutual interest in government and became friends over the year, and Rendleman decided to help him campaign over the summer.

She added that most of her work involved driving Harris around the district to get to know constituents and said the experience was fun and informative.

Ben Chuchla '13, one of Harris' former roommates, said Harris had wanted to run for the State House for a long time and is knowledgeable about local politics.

"He's like a walking encyclopedia of voting districts," he said with a laugh. "It's kind of scary sometimes. I think he's very qualified."

Chuchla said Harris is up for the task and goes out of his way to help other people.

"He has a challenge ahead of him," he said. "If there's anyone who could do it, it's him."

Senator Mark Warner, D-V.A., endorsed Harris.

Rendleman is a member of The Dartmouth staff.