1-on-1 with Cody Fulleton '16

This week, I sat down with Cody Fulleton '16, a defensive tackle from Seattle. Fulleton trained at Athletes Performance in Carlsbad, Calif., a facility geared toward college and professional football players. The sophomore had an impact as part of the defensive line rotation last season and looks to continue that trend as he assumes a larger role on the team.

How did you get involved in this program?

CF: I had seen it before and heard about it. People who go to the NFL combine work out there. I heard about it being a football player, so I looked it up and decided that I wanted to check it out.

Were there NFL players or coaches there while you were in California?

CF: There were some NFL players there, so a couple of people I worked out with were NFL guys. There were Athlete's Performance trainers, not NFL trainers. I didn't do combine training, but instead I did college athlete training, which is more for a season. Combine training is more for a testing setting.

What was the training like over your five weeks at the facility?

CF: It was six days a week, two times a day, except for Wednesday and Saturday. In the morning we went out on to the field, stretched, warmed up, did speed and agility, then had a break. Some guys would go do rehab or go play video games or eat, and then we came back for the second workout. We did strength, and then went out on the field afterwards and conditioned.

Where did you stay during the program?

CF: I lived at my grandparents house who live down there.

Did you have to do anything in particular to physically prepare yourself for training?

CF: Not really. I was already in shape, and I haven't not worked out since I was probably fourteen.

How do you think their training compared to the training here at Dartmouth?

CF: It was more specialized to the individual, whereas a lot of stuff in a college setting is very general because you have such varying levels of ability. In a weight room, you'll have some kids who have never lifted before and people who have, so it has to be more generic.

What is your dream professional team?

CF: I'd probably have to go home and play for the Seahawks. That'd be nice.

Do you have an NFL idol?

CF: Jared Allen, J.J. Watt. There are a couple others like John Randall, who was an older guy who played a while back. He was a smaller guy. Also Patrick Lewis and Clay Matthews. I'm naming a lot of guys right now, but one of my biggest idols when I was a kid was Patrick Kerney, who was a defensive end for the Seahawks.

Do you think your experience at Athletes Performance changed how you play?

CF: It gave me an edge. It was a place where I could just be more focused and less distracted. All I did for five weeks was work out, and I was just so tired that all I did when I got home was go to sleep. It just made me a better athlete and built upon what I already had.

What do you think the best part about being a Dartmouth football player is?

CF: Probably the camaraderie. It's really like a big family. It's a bunch of best friends that I get to play football with. I think it's a lot different than a big state school because we get to be a family. It reminds me a lot of how my high school was, which is nice.

Do you think the preseason training here was harder or easier than what you were doing all summer?

CF: No, it wasn't really hard. Preseason is just a grind and is hard on your body. I think this summer allowed me to come in the best shape of my life conditioning-wise and strength-wise. I don't think you can really compare the two though. Playing football and lifting weights [is] a lot of different wear and tear on your body.

**This interview has been condensed and edited.*