Artists, students workshop new plays

08.02.13.arts.panel
08.02.13.arts.panel

Many of the actors are members of theater professor Jamie Horton's Theater 65 Drama in Performance class, and were matched with writers and directors based on their previous theater experience and availability to attend rehearsals, Horton said. In the past, students have received job offers based on their participation in the summer workshop.

The six plays include "Another Medea," written and directed by Aaron Mark, "Really Really Really Really Really," written by Jackie Drury and directed by Eric Ting, "Urban Renewal," created and acted by Kyle De Camp, "Sunrise," written by Ido Bornstein and directed by Shlomo Plessner, "Ghost Supper," written Sheila Tousey and directed by Betsy Richards and "Bacha Bazi (Boy Play)," written by Gabriel Dean and directed by Ed Iskandar.

The artists will be in residence at Dartmouth for varying amounts of time depending on their play's. "Another Medea" and "Really Really Really Really Really" will be shown as the first pair of performances this Saturday.

In addition to the performances, the Hopkins Center has organized three lunchtime panels with New York Theatre Workshop artists, held in the Bentley Theater and moderated by Horton. The panels, on July 30, Aug. 6 and Aug. 13, will run for an hour and are open to the public.

At the first panel, artists for "Another Medea," "Really Really Really Really Really" and "Bacha Bazi (Boy Play)" spoke about the inspiration for their work and careers in theater.

"Another Medea" is structured as a monologue, which Mark said he wrote specifically for Tony Award-nominated actor Tom Hewitt. The two have worked together on video projects in the past, but not plays, he said.

The two have already been invited to perform the work at the All for One Theater Festival in New York City this fall.

Mark said he was interested in creating a contemporary re-telling of "Medea" and focused his play on the story of a gay male actor in New York who becomes aware of how his life parallels the classic Greek myth.

"Really Really Really Really Really," by collaborative playwright Drury, focuses on a conceptual artist's legacy and two women mourning his death. Drury has been featured in The New York Times and called "a playwright of the moment."

Her most recent play, "We Are Proud to Present a Presentation," also directed by Ting, had successful runs at the Victory Gardens Theater in Chicago and Soho Reperatory Theater in New York.

"Bacha Bazi (Boy Play)" tells the story of a documentary filmmaker who goes to Afghanistan to expose a tradition in which underage boys dress in female clothing, dance in private parties and are prostituted. The filmmaker tries to save the boys, but his actions endanger them.

Iskander called the play "a mediation on American altruism."

Iskander and Dean plan to spend the workshop developing the song and dance aspects of the play, Iskander said.

Students in Horton's class will participate in various roles and may be involved in two or three plays, Horton said. Students have also acted in VoxFest and The Frost and Dodd Play Festival and have traveled to see various plays throughout the summer, as part of the course.

Participation in the New York Theatre Workshop is the culminating project for the class.

Emma Orme '15, assistant to the director for "Bacha Bazi (Boy Play)" and also an actor in the play's ensemble, said she has enjoyed the opportunity to work with industry professionals in a classroom environment.

"There's not an unnecessary hierarchy," she said. "[Chapman and Nicola] are really helpful the other day they led the seminar for the class."

Felicia Wilkins '15, assistant stage manager for "Sunrise" and an assistant playright for "Ghost Supper" said she has benefited from observing the editing and review process for pieces.

"It's cool to watch the process of writers editing four or five drafts in one workshop," she said. "Just watching the actors in their creative process is really helpful for me and my classmates."

In addition to the intensive rehearsals, students will have an opportunity to engage with artists in seminar-styled instruction programs and social activities like group dinners.

New York Theatre Workshop artistic director Jim Nicola said Hanover provides artists an opportunity to present their plays outside the criticism and "fishbowl-like environment" of New York City.

"I always look forward to the great community," Nicola said. "They are intelligent, informed and a great audience. It's great to have a sense that your work is actually resonating in the community you're working in."

*Ashley Ulrich contributed reporting.**##

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction.

Correction: Aug. 11, 2013

**The original version of this article misspelled the name of a "Bacha Bazi" co-writer. It is Ed Iskandar, not Iskander.*