Young alumni return for weekend

Spring weather, reunions and many other events draw what is typically a younger group of alumni back to campus for Green Key.

In an effort to attract alumni back to the College for the weekend, the Hill Winds Society will host an event on Saturday, Anoush Arakelian '14 said. Student country band Chuck may perform.

Many older alumni will return for Green Key to attend the Alumni Council's spring meeting.

Catherine Roedel '12, a former Hill Winds member, said the event will appeal strongly to older alumni.

"They like talking to current students," Roedel said. "Younger alums tend to feel more connected to the College, while the older alums like to compare their experiences."

Past events included golf tournaments and formal dinners.

The Alumni Relations office will not hold any events due to Green Key's emphasis on the undergraduate experience, Derrick Smith, assistant director of young alumni and student programs, said.

Alumni who return for Green Key tend to be younger than those who attend other big weekends.

"I think it appeals to more recent graduates because the events like Phi Delt's block party and AD's lawn party draw a younger crowd, as it is crowded and loud," Arakelian said.

She said that the older alums who visit the College for Green Key tend to come because of the Alumni Council's spring meeting.

Green Key's heavy undergraduate focus contributes to the lack of alumni with young families who visit. Unlike other big weekends, Green Key has less emphasis on specific college traditions and more on having fun.

"Green Key is really more focused on Greek life and sort of revolves around that," Catherine Roedel '12 said. "Homecoming is much more family-friendly."

Phi Delt alum Brendan Lynch-Salamon '10 has performed at his fraternity's block party in the past, but will be unable to attend this year due to a scheduling conflict.

"If I could choose any weekend to come back, it would be Green Key," he said. "The only motive of Green Key is fun it's the most joyous of the big weekends here."

Roedel said that many of her friends from her time as a student at the College plan to attend Green Key this year. She said that returning to campus can be very comforting for younger alumni due to the familiar nature of the College.

"It's fun to go back out here because Dartmouth still feels like home, even though I graduated last year," Roedel said. "Coming back is a really nice break from working and the real world."

Green Key presents an opportunity for younger alumni to reconnect with friends whom they may not be able to visit after leaving the College. Roedel said she is planning on spending time with friends who live in Boston whom she has not been able to visit often.

The warm weather that comes with springtime in Hanover is also a large draw.

"The weather is always nice," Lynch-Salamon said. "Everyone is so happy the winter is over."

Brittney Frankel '12 will be unable to attend Green Key due to the timing of her pre-medical school finals.

"It was a sad, sad day when I realized this," she said.