Track teams compete at regionals

5.28.13.sports.track
5.28.13.sports.track

D'Agostino, the defending national champion in the indoor race, finished first in her heat with a 16:05.21, almost six seconds ahead of the second-place runner. Her time gave her sixth-place overall in the event and advanced her to the NCAA Championship meet in Eugene, Ore., in two weeks.

D'Agostino was the first Big Green woman to win an individual title and the only woman in the Ivy League to win a distance event title. D'Agostino won the event last June in the NCAA Championship meet, and earlier this season, she won the 3,000-meter and 5000-meter NCAA indoor titles, making her the first American woman to win the two events in a career.

Megan Krumpoch '14 tied her own personal best in the 400-meter hurdles on the first day of competition, crossing the finish line in 58.42. She took 16th overall and advanced to Friday's quarterfinal heat. Unfortunately, in the quarterfinal round, Krumpoch did not advance to the national championship, as she earned a 22nd-place finish with a time of 1:00.31.

Krumpoch had won the Ivy League Outdoor Heptagonal title earlier in May in the event.

Kaitlin Whitehorn '16 competed in the high jump, clearing 1.77 meters on her second attempt. She tied for 16th but fell short of the qualifying height to advance.

"Competing this weekend was challenging but even more rewarding," Whitehorn said. "I knew that being a D-I athlete was going to be tough, but never expected it to be as demanding as it was. The track team is certainly a talented group of individuals who have a lot of potential."

Sarah DeLozier '15 and Kate Sullivan '13 competed in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, with Delozier taking 36th in 10:36.01 and Sullivan taking 44th in 10:43.31.

"Competing at this race was such a cool experience," Delozier said. "I had never been to a race that big. It was great to see so many fans come out to support track and field, a sport that doesn't always draw the biggest crowds. While I didn't hit the time that I was hoping for, it was a great experience that I look forward to next year."

The men's competition kicked off Thursday night with the 1,500-meter. Silas Talbot '15 and Steve Mangan '14 were the first Big Green runners to hit the track, with Talbot finishing in 30th with a 3:49.00 and Mangan finishing 48th with a 4:25.05, after getting entangled with another racer in the last turn. Neither time was fast enough to put them through to the quarterfinal round.

The second event for the Big Green Thursday night was the men's 10,000-meter, where Jonathan Gault '13 wrapped up his Dartmouth track career with a time of 30:54.15, placing 40th, which did not advance him to the semifinal round.

Two Dartmouth men competed in the second day of competition. Brett Gilson '13 competed in the javelin throw, taking 36th with a throw of 60.28 meters in his third attempt. Henry Sterling '14 landed a 34th-place finish in the 3000-meter steeplechase with a 9:07.06.

The men's track and field team's season came to a conclusion on the final day of competition. Thomas Servino '15 finished in 35th in the hammer throw with a distance of 54.30 meters. Will Geoghegan '14 and John Bleday '14 competed in the final individual event of the weekend, the 5,000-meter. Geoghegan earned 28th place overall, and 13th place in his heat, in 14:28.02. Bleday took 44th in 14:53.62.

"It was my first time competing at the NCAA Easterns," Geoghegan said. "It was amazing to compete against the best teams in the East. While I didn't perform my best, the race was a great experience."

D'Agostino will be the sole Big Green athlete to advance to the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field National Championship in two weeks in Eugene, Ore.

Gault is a former member of The Dartmouth senior staff.