Fashion Council attempts to challenge perspectives

5.28.13.arts.fashionshow Courtesy of Randi Young

Newly recognized by the Council on Student Organizations, the group organized its first campus fashion show on May 10 in Collis Common Ground. The show, titled "Seven Deadly Sins," featured pieces designed by council members.

Council president and co-founder Randi Young '15, who led the event, said she hopes the group will continue to hold the show in future years.

Young saw her efforts pay off through the warm responses from community members.

"The show was phenomenal," Young said. "I was really pleased and surprised with the results. Since fashion is not a huge deal on campus, I was terrified that we would have a terribly small audience and that those that did attend would not enjoy it. But we had a respectable sized audience, and everyone loved it."

The council has worked hard to rekindle an interest in fashion by using clothing as a form of personal expression.

"Our goals are to share our love of fashion with campus, to serve as a place for fashionistas to get their fix and to prove that fashion is something that anyone and everyone can enjoy," Young said.

Co-founder Nancy Wu '15 saw the organization as an opportunity to become more involved in a field she is passionate about.

"Dartmouth didn't have an outlet for people who love fashion to come together to share ideas and interests, so we created it to provide that," Wu said. "We want to be a place where people of any style can collaborate."

In addition to organizing fashion-related programming, the council manages a blog that publishes columns on fashion inspiration, menswear, hair and makeup.

The council has already reached some major milestones, Young said, with the blog attracting around 100 visitors a day, she said.

"I'd have to say that getting over 20,000 views on our blog fall term was definitely a major highlight," Young said.

Since its creation, the council has come a long way from its humble beginnings, Wu said.

"I remember this time last year, Randi and I were trying to make our bylaws so we could get approved by COSO," Wu said. "We talked about the blog, photo shoots, meetings and fashion shows, but I can't believe it's all happened already. I think we've accomplished all of the goals we made at this time last year."

Young finds her work most fulfilling when the group is able to widen and challenge students' perspectives on fashion, she said.

"Getting people to think differently about fashion is definitely my favorite part about being in the [council]," Young said. "Fashion gets a bad reputation almost anywhere it goes, and we work to change that, even if we only change one person's mind about fashion."

Blogger Kimberly Hassel 16 said she is excited that the group has become a stronger presence on campus. "Fashion is a form of art, and I would definitely like to see that in action here at Dartmouth," Hassel said. "I feel that we're on the way to making that a reality."