Court may reevaluate Tulloch's life sentence

5.13.13.news.memorial
5.13.13.news.memorial
January 2001.

The June ruling declared mandatory life sentences without parole for juveniles as unconstitutional. Tulloch, sentenced in 2002, was 17 when he fatally stabbed the professors. James Parker, Tulloch's accomplice, was 16 at the time and received 25 years to life in prison for second degree murder after pleading guilty and testifying against Tulloch.

"The decision gives ground that didn't exist at the trial," McGraw said. "There's some question if the Supreme Court decision is retroactive or not."

Merrimack County Superior Court justice Larry Smukler will preside over Tuesday's hearing. Superior Court Justice Peter Smith, who presided over the original 2002 case, died in August 2008.

Should Tulloch's case be brought to a resentencing hearing, Smukler or another judge selected by the chief justice would preside, McGraw said. He called setting a timeline for a resentencing hearing "premature."

Susanne Zantop was chair of the College's German studies department at the time of her death and taught in the comparative literature and the women's and gender studies programs. Half Zantop was an earth sciences professor.

The couple lived in Etna, four miles from the College, and had moved to the United States from Germany. Both professors had taught at the College for 20 years.

On Jan. 27, 2001, Tulloch and Parker, posing as college students conducting an environmental survey, stabbed the Zantops to death in their home.

The event paralyzed Hanover with grief, disbelief and terror. Journalists flocked to the College to report on the murders, and their coverage spurred a play, a film and several books.

Earth sciences professor James Aronson said that regardless of a resentencing hearing, Tulloch should receive at least 40 years of imprisonment.

Aronson and his wife were close to the Zantops. Susanne Zantop had visited his home a day after Aronson's daughter was born and the day before the murders.

"It caused such turmoil around the campus," he said. "Everybody had all kinds of hypotheses. Who could have been so mad at them? People had notions about a disgruntled former student, or someone like that who was crazy because it was a very vicious crime."

Aronson compared the two murderers to the Boston bombing perpetrators, as an older male exerted negative influence over a younger accomplice in both cases.

"We didn't have much sympathy at all for the older boy," he said.

Biology professor Edward Berger said in an email that the murders were in cold blood, premeditated and motivated by money.

"Whether you wish to call Tulloch a sociopath or a psychopath is beside the point," Berger said. "He deserves to be incarcerated for life not only for what he did, but for what he is capable of doing in the future. As far as I'm concerned, for him, life without parole is what justice is all about."

German studies professor Irene Kacandes said in an email that it is logical that Tulloch's sentence is reviewed.

"I am a big believer in democracy and following the laws of the land," she said. "Nothing can bring them back."