Women's lacrosse beats Cornell, keeps perfect Ivy record

4.8.13.sports.wlax
4.8.13.sports.wlax

Along with a true team effort, two Dartmouth players in particular stuck out on the stats sheets. Goalie Kristen Giovanniello '14 recorded 10 saves and snuffed out additional offensive looks with interceptions out of her crease. Hana Bowers '13 once again netted multiple goals, scoring four in addition to securing five draw controls. Sarah Byrne '15 added a pair of goals, while Jaclyn Leto '16, Christine Lushefski '15 and Lindsey Allard '14 each tallied one to bring the total to nine.

The Big Green quickly ended Cornell's first offensive look of the game, transitioned upfield and settled on offense. Passes circled and then Leto drove in and scored in the second minute of play. Cornell responded a minute later with a quick pass from an eight-meter shot to a teammate in front of the net.

The Big Red took its only lead of the game seven minutes in, when they scored while Dartmouth was playing man-down due to a yellow card. Dartmouth got the next draw and after an eight-meter shot was turned away, the Big Green recovered the ball and Byrne drove towards the middle of the eight to tie up the game at 2-2.

Dartmouth held Cornell scoreless for the rest of the half and managed to net three more goals before the break. After an offside call against Cornell, Bowers ran from midfield and switched hands to finish with a right-hand goal to take the lead. Byrne scored her second goal after pulling in the draw control and running downfield past defenders until she could get off a shot. Bowers scored her next goal and the last of the half with a crease roll. No one scored for the next 15 minutes of play.

Back on the turf, the Big Red came out strong and tightened up the margin. Both of Cornell's goals came off of a pass from behind to a teammate waiting on the crease. Dartmouth called a timeout and, from that point on, dominated the half.

"They had a really good ride that was flustering us, and we were getting caught in doubles on the 30," Courtney Bennett '13 said. "Coach Patton showed our middies where to get into the slots between the players in the zone ride: we had to quickly kick the ball out and then back in to someone in the space in the next layer. From then on we were able to break it."

Bowers won the ensuing draw and, with the ball behind the crease, ran in to get an angle and finished low by the goalie's knees. Lushefski's goal came from a ground ball pickup off of a teammate's rebounded shot and put the Big Green up by three with just over 20 minutes to play in the half.

Ten minutes came off the clock before Bowers' last goal of the game. She started behind the cage, dodged two defenders and finished with another low shot. Liz Calby '14 intercepted the ball behind Cornell's net. Allard's goal rounded out the scoring for Dartmouth, coming from an eight-meter penalty shot. Cornell's last goal came with four and a half minutes to go, ending the game 9-5.

"We were going at a higher speed than we've ever gone before, which helped me to get cuts away from defenders and gave me an edge on attack," Bowers said. "I could have my goals because everyone else was doing their job on attack and all of the off-ball movement. Calby was behind the cage with me and set picks and was in the right spot to take my girl away, so that I was in the right place at the right time with the ball."

The Big Green went into the game with both an offensive and defensive strategy.

"We knew they played aggressive defense and liked to double, so we had to take them one-on-one and then move the ball quickly out to a point person who could swing the ball to the other side where there was a two v. one," Bennet said. "Quick ball movement and capitalizing on working the ball behind worked well for us."

Working to counter Cornell's strategy proved successful.

"We knew they liked to take one v. ones, so we were prepared to force them to help," Ellie Clayton '13 said. "We also face-guarded their number-one attacker and it worked really well, and we were able to take her out of the game."

Next weekend the team will hit the road for another Ivy League matchup against the University of Pennsylvania, followed by a second game against the University of Maryland powerhouse.

"As always, we will take it one game at a time," Bennett said. "This week, we will prepare for our important conference game against Penn, and the next day will be to get ready for Maryland. We are going into both games playing to win."

Once again, the Big Green will adjust their play based on the opponents they face.

"Maryland will have really good stick skills, so we will need to stay tight when they enter the eight-meter," Clayton said. "They will be faster and won't miss quick passes."