Student Spotlight: Ryan Hueston '14

4.29.arts.ryanHueston
4.29.arts.ryanHueston

"I love every single medium," Hueston said. "I'm not great at every medium, but I like to try at least everything. And I have, which is fun because the classes are so tiny and the professors are amazing."

Hueston is a studio art major with a concentration in printmaking and drawing, as well as a film and media studies minor with a focus in animation.

His interests lie in the 1920s through the 1950s, with a particular emphasis on atomic culture and nuclear holocaust.

"I love early American history," he said. "It's a lot of fun because it's terrifying and beautiful, but it's also so messed up. The aesthetic is excellent but the psychological and culture motivations behind such a beauty and aesthetic excellence are disturbing. But that's what I like and that's what I find fascinating."

Hueston receives significant exposure on campus, but often does not credit his work directly.

"There's a lot of little niches that you can always put your art work into," he said. "It's easy to get your stuff to be seen here."

Hueston's footprint can be seen across campus he has designed posters for the Class of 1953 Commons, his animation is featured on a loop at the Class of 1972 Life Sciences Center and he recently participated in a sustainability art show in the Black Family Visual Arts Center.

Outside of the studio, Hueston is a member of the Sing Dynasty and works as the Dartmouth Sustainability Office's student illustrator and animator.

Last fall, Hueston interned at the National Museum of the American Indian's film center in New York City. Hueston will be in San Francisco working for gourmet chefs and volunteering at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art this summer.

Hueston, however, remains unsure of his future career plans.

"As of now, based on what I've been doing, I would really like to get into animation, but I would be just as happy working as a printmaker or a printmaker's apprentice," he said. "Teaching art could be fun too."