Domosh to lead geography association

Geography department chair Mona Domosh was elected on April 1 to serve as vice president of the Association of American Geographers, a national organization that boasts over 10,000 members. After spending one year as vice president, she will assume the role of president in 2014.

The association works to advance the study of geography in the United States by hosting conferences, publishing two annual academic journals and supporting research that can be applied to government and business decisions. Domosh said she will be responsible for attending regional meetings and acting as spokesperson for the organization, promoting its goals and running some of its daily operations. The vice president also identifies specific themes and research areas for development, and Domosh said she will likely focus the association's efforts on studying globalization.

The member-elected association nominating committee selected Domosh as a candidate, along with David Butler, a geography professor at Texas State University.

Domosh was the first to be elected using the assocation's new online voting system, which registered the highest voting rate in recent years, outreach and strategic initiatives director Patricia Solis said in an email.

The association is the oldest, largest and most prestigious organization for geographers, professors, researchers, government workers and other professionals in the United States, geography professor Christopher Sneddon said. Nearly all of the professors in Dartmouth's geography department are members.

"I think it's a really great honor that she was elected to be vice president," Sneddon said. "It helps bring attention to Dartmouth's geography department."

Geography has steadily gained popularity, which Domosh said she attributes to the field's inclusion of both social and natural sciences.

Training in the broad range of areas that comprise the discipline has become increasingly important in order to grasp complex world issues.

"It is important to have a background in both social and natural sciences to study subjects such as human impact on climate change, so geographers are better suited to tackle those issues," Domosh said.

The field's growth also stems from increased interest in other topics that fall under its purview, including international development, globalization and urbanization. Domosh said these changes are important, as many Americans are unaware that the discipline exists, unlike Europeans for whom geography is a central component of the K-12 curriculum and a popular university major.

Domosh has been involved with the association for 28 years and has served on various committees. She previously served as chair of the national councillors, the cultural geography specialty group and the research grants committee. Domosh was also a member of the nominating committee and committee on the status of women geographers, in addition to serving on the editorial boards of several academic journals.

"I always enjoy working with the association because they have been so supportive of my career, so I'd be happy to give back," Domosh said.

Domosh, a cultural geographer, began studying geography at Clark University, where she ultimately earned a PhD. Her main areas of interest include the United States in the early 20th century and the cultural and historical geography of urbanization.

Domosh was a visiting professor at five universities before taking a position at Florida Atlantic University, where she taught for 10 years. She arrived at Dartmouth, with the Ivy League's only geography department, in 2000.

She has authored, co-authored or co-edited six books and over 50 book chapters and articles in academic journals.

Sneddon said he believes Domosh will bring fresh perspective to the organization because she recognizes the challenges geographers face and understands how to make the subject more relevant to both professionals and students.

"She's a really terrific researcher and teacher in geography, and understands the full breadth of the discipline and values the diversity within the field," he said. "She has been able to develop relationships with people around the world and will make a great ambassador for geography."

Domosh will assume the position of vice president on July 1.