Beyond the Bubble: Freaky February

If you have a love of the supernatural and do not get scared very easily, then February filled with recent releases of various horror and sci-fi films and shows may just be the month for you.

The feature film "Mama," directed by Guillermo del Toro of the famed "Pan's Labyrinth" (2006), tells the haunting tale of two young girls who vanished to the woods the day their mother was killed. When the girls are rescued five years later, they realize that evil forces might still be with them as they are confronted by demons and other mysterious forces. The film premiered on Jan. 18.

Yesterday, the third season of the popular drama "The Walking Dead" returned on AMC. The show centers on a man who awakens from a coma to find himself in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. He sets out to find his family and encounters many other survivors along the way.

In the art world, Edvard Munch's iconic painting "The Scream" is currently on view at The Museum of Modern Art in New York City until April 29. College Trustee Leon Black '73, donor of the new Black Family Visual Arts Center, bought the painting to much press attention at a Sotheby's auction last May for nearly $120 million.

"The Scream" depicts a hairless figure on a bridge under a yellow-orange sky. The painting captures a moment of intense agony and fright, which, along with "Mama" and "The Walking Dead," fits perfectly with the overall mood of the midterm exam period that began on campus last week. Although we try our best to stay calm while flipping through stacks of notecards, meeting with study groups and taking 1 a.m. trips to KAF, sometimes we all just want to let it out and scream.