Women's hockey on winning streak

1.11.13.sports.hockey_maggierowland
1.11.13.sports.hockey_maggierowland

Co-captain Jenna Hobeika '12 said the team was very satisfied with its performance, despite some difficulty during the third period.

"Overall, it went really well," Hobeika said. "Our third period wasn't our best, but it was good having a two-goal lead going into it. We made it hard on ourselves by taking some penalties."

Dartmouth co-captain Reagan Fischer '12 agreed, adding that the game met the team's expectations.

"The game went really well actually," Fischer said. "We've been trying to string together 60 minutes of play and have a good start, and I think we accomplished that yesterday and had a good win."

The win did not come easily, as the Big Green had to overcome a one-goal deficit twice during the game. Just 23 seconds after Vermont (6-11-2, 4-3-2 AEC) scored the first goal of the match, Laura Stacey '16 tied the score, bringing the tally to 1-1 during the first period.

Vermont raised the stakes again at the start of the second period when sophomore forward Meghan Huertas netted a goal in the first minute, bringing the score to 2-1. The Catamounts proved to be no match for the Big Green, though, as Dartmouth quickly pulled ahead, scoring three times during the second period. Less than one minute after Huertas' goal, the Big Green tied the game with a goal from forward Lindsey Allen '16, assisted by forward Ailish Forfar '16. Forfar then scored a goal of her own 3:19 into the period, followed by a point from forward Karlee Odland '15 later in the game.

Dartmouth also outshot the Catamounts 41-24, with Big Green goalie Lindsay Holdcroft '14 turning away 22 of Vermont's shooting attempts.

After playing on the road for eight games straight, the Big Green happily returns to Hanover this weekend to battle Quinnipiac University and Princeton University on their home turf.

"We're very excited actually," Fischer said. "One of our players made a joke that it'll be nice to place in white for a change, because we've been on the road for so long playing in dark colors."

Fischer adds that the match-up against Quinnipiac (12-7-2, 8-3-1 AEC) will be especially emotional for the Big Green, as they attempt to make up for a previous loss against the team.

"Last time we played Quinnipiac, we lost 8-3," Fischer said. "It was a little bit of an upset for us but also a big learning process. We want to show Quinnipiac how good of a team we can be they haven't experienced the real Dartmouth women yet."

The team also anticipates an exciting game against Princeton (6-10-2, 2-8-2 ECAC), as the match marks their first in-conference game since they played Harvard University on Nov. 30.

"We have a lot of traditions that we do before Ivy games, so it's a little more personal," Hobeika said.

Looking forward to the rest of the season, the Big Green has set some high, yet attainable, goals, according to Fischer.

"One of our main goals is to win the ECAC Championship and make it to the NCAA, which means we have to qualify in the top eight in the nation," Fischer said. "And of course we want to compete for the Ivy title."

The Big Green women's hockey team will face off against Quinnipiac this Friday at 7:00 p.m. in Thompson Arena.