Men's hockey remains undefeated

11.12.12.sports.mhockey
11.12.12.sports.mhockey

Goaltender Cab Morris '14 recorded his first career shutout on Friday night, blocking all 18 shots on goal as RPI lost its fourth consecutive game.

"I'm definitely excited about it," Morris said. "We had some great goals. We really kept the momentum going the whole game. The defense really kept the shots down and made my job easier."

Brad Schierhorn '16 put Dartmouth on the board within the first three minutes of the first period, notching his first career goal, assisted by a pass from linemate Jesse Beamish '15.

"It was a pretty lucky goal," Schierhorn said. "It wasn't the prettiest goal. My linemates Jack Barre ['16] and Jesse Beamish played pretty well."

In the first period, Dartmouth had six shots on the goal, while RPI had five. The Engineers didn't score on any of their 18 shots on goal, and although they had five power plays, the Dartmouth penalty kill was up to the task, blanking RPI each time.

Eric Neiley '15 scored four minutes into the second period, with an assist from Tyler Sikura '15 and Andy Simpson '15. RPI goalie Scott Diebold went down after blocking one scoring attempt, giving Neiley a great opportunity to convert the rebound, which he sent into the right side of the net.

Halfway through the second period, Sikura skated unobstructed down the rink and scored the Big Green's third goal unassisted. With eight minutes left in the period, winger Eric Robinson '14 notched his sixth goal of the year on a pass from Charlie Mosey '15. Dartmouth killed three penalties in the third to seal the 4-0 victory.

In a physical game against No. 8 Union, Brandon McNally '15 gave the Big Green the lead four minutes into the game after a pass from Sikura while Dutchmen goalie Colin Stevens was distracted on the left side of the net.

"I went to the net, [Sikura] gave me an unbelievable pass, and I just put it in an empty net," McNally said. "It was not much work on my part. The goalie was still facing Sikura, and I was in the back door just waiting, so he had no idea I was there."

At the end of the first period, Dartmouth had only three shots but still held a 1-0 lead. Late in the second period, Robinson notched Dartmouth's second goal of the night. Stevens tried to block a pass from McNally to Robinson, but instead rolled over on the ice, clearing the puck, which Robinson sent into the net. Later in the period, a Union attempt on goal turned into a dog pile at the Dartmouth goal. The two teams began fighting and had to be pulled apart by the referees. The Big Green scored its final goal of the night in the last second of the second period, as Matt Lindblad '14 capitalized on a loose rebound for what would prove to be the game-winning goal.

The tide turned early in the third period, after Union wings Daniel Carr and Matt Hatch knocked in two goals in the first five minutes to bring the score to 3-2.

"I guess we might have been a little overconfident," McNally said. "We were dominating the first two periods, so we thought we would go away with it easily, but obviously they were going to keep fighting. We were definitely still trying, but we've got to work on that."

Despite two power plays from the Dutchmen, Morris and the Dartmouth defense held strong, preserving the Big Green's undefeated start to the season.

Next week, Dartmouth will hit the road to play Colgate University and Cornell University.