Thousands of alumni will visit College for Homecoming

10.26.12.mirror.alumparade1952
10.26.12.mirror.alumparade1952

New events for alumni and their families this year include a special panel on military experience with former College President James Wright and trustee Nathaniel Fick '99, moderated by economics professor Andrew Samwick, and tours of new campus buildings including the Class of 1978 Life Sciences Center, the Class of 1953 Commons and the Black Family Visual Arts Center, according to Lawrence.

Alumni can also join current students in Homecoming events such as sports matches, the Dartmouth Night bonfire and the Dartmouth Night parade, along with various lectures, tours and other events, Lawrence said. Family and friends of alumni are also encouraged to take part in the events, she said.

"There are more than 20 sports teams, 35 classes and four marching bands in the parade on Friday night, and I just wanted to emphasize that all classes are welcome to march," she said.

This year's Homecoming football game against Harvard University will take place at 5 p.m. on Saturday, which means that alumni planning mini-reunions had to rearrange their schedules to accommodate a night game, according to 2016 Connections Coordinator for the Class of 1966 Chuck Sherman '66, whose class is holding a mini-reunion this year.

"This year is a night game, which is something most of us have never seen," Sherman said.

Lights were installed at Memorial Field to allow the football team to play night games last year.

Class of 1953 newsletter editor and website director Dave Halloran '53, whose class is also holding a mini-reunion over Homecoming weekend, said he expects a good turnout for the reunion as his class builds up to its 50-year reunion this spring.

"As you get further on in reunions, you always have memories, but the memories as you get further down the stream of life are the memories of the love and the bonding," he said.

Alumni Council President Marty Lempres '84, who will speak at this year's Dartmouth Night ceremonies, said that each Homecoming is special because alumni have the opportunity to come together and celebrate the College's traditions. This year's weekend will be unique because of the BADA's landmark 40th anniversary and because several award-winning alumni will present on campus, he said.

"There are a number of Dartmouth College alumni award-winners going to be here on campus being recognized as part of the Homecoming weekend," Lempres said. "These are alumni who have done terrific things and have gone above and beyond for the College over a period of many years that are being recognized for that in conjunction with Homecoming."

Since Dartmouth Night and Homecoming were created to celebrate the accomplishments of alumni, the weekend is especially important for these visitors, according to Lempres.

"Dartmouth is a college that is marked by tradition, and I think Homecoming is one of the strongest of the traditions at Dartmouth, so I think in that regard it's huge," he said. "It's a wonderful event the bonfire, the school spirit, all the students fired up, all the alums coming together and it's just a great, wonderful night."

Homecoming is a weekend of unity for Dartmouth, as it brings together many different parts of the College community, Lawrence said.

"It's like Thanksgiving," she said. "It's for everyone, and anyone can celebrate Homecoming alumni, friends, family, students, parents everyone is welcome, and I think it's a great opportunity to bring the whole Dartmouth family together."