Midseason Report: Top 10 Ivy Football Players

JONATHAN LI/THE DARTMOUTH
JONATHAN LI/THE DARTMOUTH

OFFENSE

1. RB Akil Sharp, senior, Princeton University. Sharp has scored four rushing touchdowns in only three games for a less-than-potent Princeton offense. His four scores are only two less than opponents have scored against the Tigers this year. He is averaging 52 rushing yards per game and looks to be a crucial component in Princeton's resurgence in Ivy League football.

2. RB Tyler Varga, freshman, Yale. Varga has showed great promise in the early games for the Bulldogs. A big-play threat with good hands, Varga has made a large impact in the three games he has played this year. He is averaging 106 rushing yards per game, good for third in the Ivy League, and has scored four times for a Yale offense that has been hot and cold this year.

3. QB Eric Williams, freshman, Yale. Williams has played well in his first season in New Haven, averaging 203 passing yards per game and throwing for five touchdowns in his first four games. He has also shown good mobility, rushing for 42 yards per game. His decision-making needs to improve, however, as he has thrown eight interceptions in the young season.

4. WR Luke Tasker, senior, Cornell University. Tasker, son of NFL special teams legend Steve Tasker, has been a key to Cornell's high-powered offense, averaging 121 receiving yards per game, over 30 yards more than the next-closest player. He has become the favorite target for quarterback Jeff Matthews, who has connected with Tasker on four touchdown passes, and, along with fellow wide receiver Grant Gellatly, has spearheaded the two-headed monster that is the Cornell receiving game. Tasker ranks first in the league in every receiving category but yards per catch.

5. QB Alex Park, junior, Dartmouth. The transfer student has been a leader for the Big Green, both emotionally and on the field. He is a key figure in the newly revamped Big Green passing offense, averaging 195 passing yards per game. He has thrown four touchdowns and has completed 64.5 percent of his passes this season. Park has also shown an exceptional ability to scramble and extend plays.

6. QB Patrick Donnelly, senior, Brown University. Donnelly has thrown seven touchdown passes and is averaging over 212 yards per game through the air for a 3-1 Brown squad that has been the only team to challenge Harvard University this year.

7. RB Dominick Pierre, junior, Dartmouth. He has filled the shoes of Nick Schwieger '12 beautifully so far. Pierre is averaging 110 yards per game on the ground and has scored five times for the Big Green. His ability to bounce off of tacklers and gain tough yards after contact has helped Dartmouth get off to a 3-1 start and has created a balanced Big Green attack. Pierre currently ranks second in the league in every rushing category.

8. RB Treavor Scales, senior, Harvard. Scales is averaging 124 rushing yards per game for the Crimson this year and has scored seven touchdowns while leading the Ivy League in every rushing category. He is one of the main reasons that Harvard has an average margin of victory of 27.5 points per game and has a great chance of repeating as Ivy champions.

9. QB Jeff Matthews, junior, Cornell. Matthews has thrown for 353 yards per game, a total that ranks him fifth in the Football Championship Subdivision, to go with eight touchdowns this season. He and his wide receiver tandem of Tasker and Gellatly have made Cornell's passing attack one of the most fearsome and explosive in the league. Harvard "held him in check" by limiting him to only 307 yards on Saturday.

10. QB Colton Chapple, senior, Harvard. Chapple leads the offense of the favorites to win the Ivy League. He is averaging 295 yards per game through the air and has thrown 11 touchdowns. He is in complete command of a Harvard offense that is averaging 42.5 points per game this season.

DEFENSE

1. DL Luke Miller, senior, Brown. Miller has only 10 tackles on the season, but three of them are sacks. Miller is a large reason why Brown is holding opponents to just 96 rushing yards per game, a total that ranks second in the Ancient Eight.

2. LB Will McHale, senior, Yale. McHale has been a bright spot for a Bulldog defense that ranks last in the league in yards per game and rushing yards per game. The senior has tallied 37 tackles this season, tying for fourth-best in the league.

3. DB Michael Banaciski, junior, Dartmouth. Banaciski anchors a Dartmouth secondary that ranks second in the league against the pass this season. The junior has 21 tackles and a forced fumble, as well as two pass break-ups on the year.

4. DL Josh Martin, senior, Columbia University. Martin has anchored a good Columbia run defense with 19 tackles and two and a half sacks on the season. He is a big reason that the Lions rank fourth in the league in rush defense.

5. DB Mandela Sheaffer, senior, Princeton. Sheaffer ranks second on the Tigers in tackles with 26, despite playing in the secondary. He has helped lead Princeton's defense-first resurgence in the Ivy League this season. The Tigers lead the league in pass defense, surrendering just 208 yards per game through the air.

6. LB Zach Olinger, junior, Columbia. Olinger is a bright spot for a Columbia defense that has struggled this season. The linebacker has notched 40 tackles, tied for second-most in the league, and has three tackles for loss and two interceptions for the Lions.

7. DE Zach Hodges, sophomore, Harvard. Hodges has only recorded 10 tackles this season, but he has been a menace in the backfield. He has four and a half sacks and six and a half tackles for a total loss of 47 yards. He has been a big reason why the Crimson lead the Football Championship Subdivision in rushing defense, allowing just 52 yards per game on the ground.

8. LB Michael Runger, junior, Dartmouth. Runger is a tackle machine, totaling 40 on the season. He is a large contributor to the Big Green's fourth-place ranking in total defense and second-place ranking against the pass. Runger is a versatile linebacker who can play well against both the run and the pass.

9. DL Mike Catapano, senior, Princeton. Catapano is the best pass rusher in the league with six and a half tackles for loss, including five sacks. The pressure he's generated on opposing quarterbacks has greatly aided the Tigers' league-leading pass defense.

10. LB Andrew Starks, senior, Princeton. The Ivy League leader in tackles has 42 this season, including four for a loss of 23 yards. The senior also has an interception on the season and has been a large presence in the middle for the Tiger defense.