Football seeks revenge vs. Pioneers

The Dartmouth football team returns to Hanover this weekend for the third and final game of its non-conference schedule against Sacred Heart University. The Big Green (3-1, 1-1 Ivy) will look to keep the positive momentum flowing against a tough Pioneers (1-4, 1-2 NEC) team that took home a last-minute victory in the two teams' matchup last season.

Coming off an impressive 31-14 victory at Yale University last week that snapped a nine-game losing streak to the Bulldogs, the Big Green is focused on not allowing Sacred Heart to sneak in and win a classic non-league trap game.

"We're really embarrassed with the way we performed last year, and watching the film and some of the mistakes we made, it was one of those situations where we thought we beat ourselves," linebacker Garrett Wymore '13 said. "If anything, this is a statement game for us to show what type of team we are, that we aren't looking forward to another opponent but that we're taking it one game at a time."

In the game between the two teams last year, the Pioneers took the lead on a 22-yard field goal with one minute left in the game. Sacred Heart then blocked a 53-yard attempt by the Big Green as time expired to secure the win at home.

"We played very poorly against Sacred Heart last year, and they have some very talented athletes, including their offensive line, which is the biggest we'll face all season," head coach Buddy Teevens said. "It's a one-game mindset, and it's a home opportunity to show the local fans where we are, and we think we've made a lot of progress since the last time we were here."

One big question mark for Dartmouth heading into the weekend will be the health of their lead running back Dominick Pierre '14, who left midway through the Yale game with an ankle injury. Teevens said that Pierre's status was about "50/50" for this weekend's matchup after X-rays revealed the injury to be less severe than originally anticipated.

If Pierre is unable to take the field, Teevens will likely go to a cadre of other backs who found success in the second half against Yale. Greg Patton '13 saw his first action of the year and accumulated 52 yards on the ground while running the offense in wildcat sets. Brian Grove '16 also saw significant snaps and ran for two fourth-quarter touchdowns that put the game out of reach.

"[Associate head coach and running backs coach] Chris Wilkerson has done a nice job with each of the guys," Teevens said. "You need to have guys who are capable of executing your offense, and we think we have that."

Alex Park '14 continued his strong season and continued to cement his position as the team's starting quarterback after turning in a 204-yard performance, completing 15 out of 27 passes. Park recorded a six-yard touchdown pass to Justin Foley '13 and had no turnovers or sacks. Park's 15 completions went to nine different receivers, showing the quarterback's trust in his teammates and the offensive system.

"He's been making good decisions and has a good grasp of the offense," Teevens said. "He's feeling more comfortable in the pocket and more comfortable in his role."

The Big Green defense had another strong showing as the unit continues to lead the league in points allowed per game, highlighting its trend of bending without breaking. The unit's strongest play so far has come in the second half, during which the Big Green has allowed only eight points all season.

"We really don't have any superstars on our defense," Wymore said. "We just have a bunch of guys doing their jobs and keeping up with their assignments and rallying behind each other."

Coming off an emotional road victory at Yale, Dartmouth will look to avenge last year's tough loss against the Pioneers on its home turf.

"We really had a fresh wound from last year, and it was one of the worst games I had been a part of," Wymore said. "[Last week's game against Yale] was really a signature win for us, and especially my recruiting class, to be able to go down to Yale and beat them."

The game will kick off at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday at Memorial Field.