Football handles Yale in easy victory

Down 14-13 at halftime, the Dartmouth football team methodically pulled away from Yale University to win 34-14 on Saturday in New Haven, Conn., as the Big Green's stringent defense and strong play from unheralded backups gave Dartmouth its first 3-1 start since 1997 and its first win over Yale since 2002.

After the Bulldogs (1-3, 0-2 Ivy) seized a 14-10 lead on a fake field goal with 4:12 to play in the first half, the Big Green (1-1 Ivy) defense buckled down and stopped four of Yale's next six fourth-down attempts.

"We knew they were an aggressive team, and we knew they were going to have some tricks in the bag," co-captain and linebacker Bronson Green '14 said. "As a defense, we pride ourselves on getting off the field, whether that be on third or fourth down."

Bulldog head coach Tony Reno is experienced in special teams play, as he spent the past three seasons as special teams coordinator at Harvard University. On Saturday, Yale's unit repeatedly showcased unique formations and trickery, but it was to no avail in the second half.

"Just to stop them on fourth down and get that great field possession was fantastic," quarterback Alex Park '14 said.

The balanced Big Green offense dominated the time of possession battle, 33:45 to 26:15, and finished the day with 204 passing yards and 201 rushing yards.

"I really thought we had control throughout the game," Park said, when asked if there was a single play that shifted momentum. "I think our team has done a good job of just continuing to grow week to week."

After starting running back Dominick Pierre '14 was forced out of the game due to a knee injury in the third quarter, head coach Buddy Teevens repeatedly utilized a wildcat formation led by Greg Patton '13, with great success.

Patton, who was making his season debut after missing the first three games due to injury, finished the day with 52 yards on seven carries, including a 31-yard sprint that set up the final touchdown of the afternoon.

"There was definitely no panic," Park said. "You hate to lose a guy like Dom, but in those situations, it's a chance for a young guy like Brian [Grove '16] to step up."

Grove, a native of West Palm Beach, Fla., racked up two touchdowns and 38 yards on 10 carries, nine of which came after Pierre left the game. Pierre still had a solid day despite missing time, tallying 91 yards and a touchdown on 19 carries.

"In the second half, our offense just started clicking," Park said.

In the first half, however, repeated penalties and mistakes prevented the Big Green offense from reaching its potential, according to Park. Dartmouth received the ball to start the game and marched down the field with a 14-play, 72-yard drive. The offense stalled inside the Yale 10yard line, however, and Dartmouth had to settle for three points on a Riley Lyons '15 field goal.

"Riley Lyons did a great job of making the kicks when he had to," Park said.

Later in the half, down 14-10, Dartmouth's special teams tried a trick play of their own. On fourth and three from Yale's 16-yard line, field-goal holder Michael Reilly '12 successfully scampered seven yards for the first down. But a holding penalty negated the play, and Lyons knocked in a 36-yard field goal to bring the Big Green within one point of Yale, 14-13.

In the second half, Dartmouth scored touchdowns on three of its four possessions. Dartmouth's other possession was an 11-play, 72-yard drive that culminated in a missed Lyons field goal attempt from 35 yards.

"It was a tough, physical ballgame, and we were fortunate enough to come out with the win," Teevens said.

The win was the Big Green's first against Yale since 2002, when Dartmouth beat the Bulldogs 20-17 at Memorial Field.

"We had an idea of the history and significance of the game," Green said. "It gave us a little bit more motivation going in."

Yale currently leads the all-time series against Dartmouth, 53-36-6. The Big Green next takes the field on Saturday against Sacred Heart University. Dartmouth will look to avenge a 24-21 loss from last season against the Pioneers. It is currently unclear if Pierre will start at running back.

"Saturday, we showed an overall team effort," Park said. "Now, we'll try to do the same thing against Sacred Heart."