Dominant second half propels field hockey over Lions

The Dartmouth field hockey team scored three unanswered goals in the second half to secure a 5-2 win over Columbia University on Sunday afternoon.

The Big Green's offense proved too much for the Lions in the second half, as Dartmouth pulled away with three unanswered goals after a 2-2 tie at halftime. In the second half alone, Dartmouth outshot Columbia, 14-3.

Olivia Quaglia '14 led the Big Green attack with two tallies, the first two-goal performance of her career. Quaglia had been scoreless since her first career goal in October 2010.

"Olivia scored two goals from her defensive position, which was great," Maggie Scanlon '14 said. "Goalie Jenna Stearns ['13] had amazing confidence in the goal, and she had great clears. Altogether, the team played great, and we connected well between our lines."

Columbia came out aggressively, scoring a little over one minute into the game. About three minutes later, Quaglia brought the Big Green back into the contest with a goal assisted by co-captain Maya Herm '13.

"Our game plan was to contain Columbia's quick restarts and finish with shots on goal," Liz Blanken '13 said. "We executed the game plan almost perfectly. We really played as a team, with quick passes and great movement."

The Big Green continued its offensive force with another goal by co-captain Lisa Masini '13 less than three minutes later, taking an early 2-1 lead. The goal was Masini's eighth of the season, which ranks second on the team. Masini leads the team in assists with four on the season.

Paige Simmons led Columbia's offense and penetrated the Dartmouth defense to score both goals for the Lions in the first half of the contest.

Herm regained the lead for Dartmouth early in the second half, and Quaglia's second goal on a corner play gave the Big Green added insurance. Sam Anderson '14 sealed the victory, scoring the last goal with only three seconds remaining in the game on a fast break with Masini.

"The most satisfying thing about this game was our ability to capitalize on the opportunities we created and keep Columbia under pressure for the entire 70 minutes," Ali Savage '15 said.

Stearns played the entire game for the Big Green, defending the goal with five saves and lowering her goals against average to 2.43.

"We did a great job finishing on corners, stopping their attacking opportunities and controlling their fast breaks," Blanken said.

Dartmouth has won eight of its last nine games, a streak dating back to Sept. 19. The only loss in that span came against the University of North Carolina, which is currently ranked first in the country.

"Going into today's game, our goal was to maintain our intensity throughout the whole game, Scanlon said. "We were fighting for second place in the Ivy League. We did a good job of executing our game plan and continuing the sweep of their homecoming."

The Big Green women redeemed themselves after a 4-2 loss to the Lions last year, when both teams also had identical records in the Ivy League. Not only has the team been experiencing success, but individuals have also had shining moments throughout the past few games.

Earlier in the week, Savage was named Ivy League Player of the Week, scoring six goals in the past two games and leading the team overall with nine goals.

Dartmouth will face Harvard University on its Senior Day on Saturday at 1 p.m. The game will mark the last home outing for seniors Masini, Stearns, Herm, Blaken and Samantha McPherson '13.

The Big Green will then travel to Durham, N.H., to take on the University of New Hampshire on Sunday. The season wraps up for the Big Green with a road game at Cornell on Nov. 3.

"We need those wins to secure our standing in the league and put ourselves up in the region," Herm said. "At this point, it's fine-tuning the details. Our team has great chemistry on and off the field. I'd do anything for this team, and I know all of my teammates would say the same."