Daily Debriefing

A study conducted by Dartmouth professors and researchers at the University of Warwick found that eating seven portions of fruits and vegetables every day can improve emotional and psychological well-being, The Atlantic reported. Using data collected from a survey of approximately 80,000 U.K. residents, the study examined the correlation between eating habits and measures of mental health. Using controls to account for external variables, the researchers' analysis showed a positive correlation linking higher daily dosage of fruit and vegetables to increased happiness, life satisfaction and fewer incidences of "feeling low." While the study shows a correlation and not a causal relationship, the researchers believe it provides good evidence that people should consume regular servings of produce, according to The Atlantic.

A recent alumnus of the University of New Hampshire was charged with the murder of UNH undergraduate Elizabeth Marriott on Sunday, The Boston Globe reported. Marriott, a 19-year-old marine biology major, went missing last week. Law enforcement officials believe she is probably dead, though the search for her body continues, according to Assistant Attorney General James Vara. Seth Mazzaglia, a martial arts instructor and actor from Dover, N.H., was charged with second-degree murder, the Associated Press reported. Vara said Mazzaglia knew Marriott, but he did not elaborate on the nature of the relationship. After class last Tuesday, Marriott's cellphone was used in Dover, while her car was found parked on campus in Durham, N.H., the AP reported.

William Friday, a former leader in North Carolina public higher education, died on Friday at his home in Chapel Hill, N.C., at the age of 92, The New York Times reported. Friday's legacy includes battling federal desegregation demands, incorporating the state's colleges and universities into one system and increasing student body enrollment eightfold. Friday was selected as president of the University of North Carolina in 1956 despite having minimal experience in education. To save money, the state combined all 16 public colleges and universities in North Carolina in 1971, placing 11 traditionally white institutions and five traditionally black institutions under a single administration. The fight over integration began in the 1950s and persisted throughout Friday's tenure as he aimed to stop the federal government from interfering with policy and education through its desegregation efforts, according to The Times.