Classes will continue during Homecoming

While many students look forward to Homecoming weekend as a time of celebration and much-needed rest, most professors said they do not plan to alter syllabi or class schedules to accommodate student participation in the festivities.

These professors said that canceling class or reducing the workload for students would prevent students from receiving as rich an educational experience. Still, other professors highlighted the importance of full student participation in Homecoming as a way to build a sense of community.

Art history professor Steven Kangas said he follows the College's academic calendar, which does not include Homecoming weekend as a special day or event. Earth sciences professor Robert Hawley also said that since Homecoming is not a College-sponsored activity, his classes would proceed as usual.

Biology professor Amy Gladfelter echoed other professors' opinions about scheduling classes during big weekends.

"I don't cancel classes on principle for non-academic things," Gladfelter said. "I think my mission is to educate."

Other professors cited students' diligence even during Homecoming weekend as a reason they continue to hold classes. For example, classics professor Hakan Tell expects students to think ahead and "do a little extra work" in order to keep up with their coursework.

Director of the Dartmouth Ethics Institute Aine Donovan said that while students do not want to be in class, they are conscientious about completing their homework. Donovan said she enjoys Homecoming more now than in previous years as a result of a reduced emphasis among students on drinking during the weekend.

Religion professor Susannah Heschel criticized the culture surrounding Homecoming, citing student distraction and misplaced commitments during the Weekend.

"Commitment to academic work is like entering a monastery or a convent," she said. "That's all you should be doing. Nothing else."

Heschel said she would like to reorganize Homecoming into an academic conference. Homecoming could involve alumni by allowing them to participate in classes and discussions with faculty, she said.

The "thrill of going to a great lecture" should be a substitute for parties, according to Heschel.

"There's plenty of time to go to parties," she said. "I would just cut the parties for four years."

Other professors, however, make accommodations for students during Homecoming. Art history professor Marlene Heck said she will reschedule her class on Friday and hold it during an x-hour because students are typically distracted and she thinks it is important to have a mid-fall break.

"Everybody has been working hard for six or seven weeks," Heck said. "We look forward to this event where the Dartmouth community comes home. We should be able to enjoy it."

For Heck, Homecoming weekend is a critical element of Dartmouth culture, so she wants to encourage student participation in the event.

In her first year teaching at the College, sociology professor Emily Walton said she will not cancel classes. Instead, she built a less demanding homework schedule into her syllabus to allow students to partake in Dartmouth's social life and customs.

"My students would be upset," Walton said. "Building a rapport among these students seemed important to me."

Walton added that she will not change the material taught, but will simply require less outside preparation from her students.

Ramtin Rahmani '16 said that despite a rigorous homework schedule this term, he anticipates fully participating in Homecoming activities, particularly the bonfire.

"I think that if anyone doesn't go [to Homecoming activities], it's an active choice they made," Rahmani said.

Rahmani opposed canceling classes on Friday, noting that professors would "pack in more material" the following week.

Mary Peng '15 fondly recalled her freshman Homecoming experience, but said that she felt constrained from attending every activity due to her strenuous workload.

"You have to be selective," she said. "I just chose one to two or three things I really wanted to do with some friends I still got some work done."

Peng said she believes classes should be canceled, if only to add a long weekend to Fall term.