Beyond the Bubble: Tradition Challenged

This week in the fine art world, a variety of events will demonstrate the prevalence of new media in contemporary art, including photography, film and installation art, challenging the dominance of traditional art forms.

Celebrating the emergence of photography as fine art, the Chicago Filter Photo Festival will run through Sunday, attracting artists, educators, curators and editors from across the country. The festival will help to promote discussion between various sectors of the art world.

On Oct. 19, Glasgow-based Karla Black will unveil her "Concentrations 55" at the Dallas Museum of Art. Black exploits the properties of light and shadow to produce three-dimensional works of immense scale and translucency. Her work engages existing architectural forms, calling into question the distinction between sculpture and installation art.

Also on Oct. 19, the New Museum of Art and Design in New York will present the work of the Hubleys, an American family of animation artists. Their films synthesize abstract forms and emotional realism, often incorporating voices of contemporary celebrities.

With an exhibit dedicated to video and installation artist Steve McQueen, the Art Institute of Chicago will similarly honor new media in contemporary art. Aptly titled "Steve McQueen," the exhibition marks his first American museum survey and opens on Oct. 21.