Beyond the Bubble: The Art of War

Sun Tzu might not appreciate the usage of the title of his military treatise in describing a trend in this week's art-related openings and events, but the application is perfectly apt. The art world has long been fascinated by the complexity and beauty of conflict, and this week witnesses a high number of warfare-related art releases.

First, the Metropolitan Museum in New York City kicked off its celebration of the centennial anniversary of the Arms and Amour Department this Sunday with a free lecture by curator Stuart Pyhrr.

Massive crowds in the U.K. will watch their greatest fictional national hero, James Bond, prevent international conflicts in "Skyfall" (2012), set for wide release in the U.S. on Nov. 8. On the small screen, American viewers this week can satiate their need for grimy conflict with zombie violence in the TV show "The Walking Dead."

On the stage in New York City, traditional conflicts stand alongside new ones. The Metropolitan Opera sees Propsero take revenge against his wrongdoers in "The Tempest" on Wednesday. Through Nov. 25, viewers can also catch "Cyrano de Bergerac" at the American Airlines Theatre and watch the adventures of the title character, who was a both a duelist and a poet.

Yet, war is certainly not exclusive to this week's arts events. Still lives can be lovely and pleasing to the eye, but there's rarely anything that gives art a spark of excitement quite like impending conflict.