Women's soccer splits vs. Maine, Rutgers

09.10.12.sports.wsoccer
09.10.12.sports.wsoccer

Dartmouth (2-2) looked sharp at the open of Friday's game against the Black Bears and wasted no time getting on the scoreboard. In the 12th minute, Chrissy Lozier '14 broke away from a group of Maine (3-3) defenders and met a lofting pass from Corey Delaney '16, securing Dartmouth's first goal of the game with a header.

Holding a 1-0 lead, Dartmouth continued to pressure Maine, with Lozier almost recording her second goal of the game a few minutes later with a hard shot that bounced off the post. In the 16th minute, the Big Green struck again as Delaney picked up her second assist, this time to Brush. Up 2-0, the Big Green settled into an aggressive style of play and held its lead for the rest of the half.

"We really came together at halftime and discussed what we were doing well and what we could do better," co-captain Aurelia Solomon '13 said. "We really wanted to keep attacking."

Dartmouth held its focus in the second half and came out firing, accounting for the first three shots of the half. In the 64th minute, Brush recorded her second goal of the day on a pass from Libby Hamlin '13 to give the Big Green a 3-0 lead.

Maine managed to break through in the next minute to score its only goal of the game, but Dartmouth's defense held off the rally and allowed only three shots during the rest of the contest. Dartmouth dominated offensively throughout the game, outshooting Maine, 15-9.

Solomon said that Dartmouth focused on building on its success from the weekend before, when the team beat the University of South Florida in Orlando, Fla.

"We had a great opening weekend," Solomon said. "Our goal for Maine was to come out and win and improve on what we have been doing well. It was really an overall team effort for the win."

Dartmouth hoped to continue its winning streak on Sunday in the team's home opener at Burnham Field. The Big Green faced Rutgers (6-2) and once again began the game with energy and intensity.

The first half was physical, with both teams playing hard and trading control of the ball. After a back-and-forth beginning, Rutgers threatened in the 37th minute when the Scarlet Knights were awarded a free kick just outside Dartmouth's penalty area. After a chaotic moment in the box, goalkeeper Tatiana Saunders '15 came up with the save.

During the last minutes of first-half action, Dartmouth applied even more pressure on Rutgers, keeping the ball in the Scarlet Knights' defensive end and winning two corner kicks. The Big Green came close to capitalizing on one corner kick when Delaney sent a lofting header off the crossbar.

After halftime, both teams came out with renewed intensity. Rutgers pressured the Big Green, but Dartmouth's defense held strong. Saunders continued to make big saves, and Dartmouth's offense began to string together passes, with two shots missing the goal by less than a foot.

Finally, in the 58th minute, the Big Green broke through the Scarlet Knights' defense. After a chaotic moment in Rutgers' penalty area, Lucielle Kozlov '16 broke free and placed a cross just inside the 18-yard line where Brush was waiting to fire the ball into the back of the net for her third goal of the season.

"All of our goals are really combo plays," Brush said.

Down 1-0, Rutgers refused to quit and quickly answered the Big Green's goal with a score of their own. In the 62nd minute, Scarlet Knights junior Jonelle Filigno broke free of her defenders and lightly tapped the ball into the left corner of the goal, evening the score.

Even with Rutgers' rally, Dartmouth stayed strong and continued to pressure the Scarlet Knights, firing three shots that barely missed the goal in the next five minutes of play. Control of the ball went back and forth until the 69th minute, when Rutgers gained momentum. Saunders made two key saves, however, and the Big Green defense was able to clear the ball.

Momentum continued to swing between the teams until the 87th minute, when Filigno slipped through the Dartmouth defense to score on a through pass from senior Tricia DiPaolo. The Big Green continued to battle for the last two minutes but could only muster one more shot that went above the crossbar.

Although they suffered a loss, the players were happy with their play against a strong team.

"We love playing teams like this because it makes us better for when we play in our league," Brush said. "I'm really happy with how we played."

Dartmouth coach Theresa Romagnolo was also happy with her team's play, but said her players need to improve on their ability to finish plays.

"We need to continue to create more scoring opportunities," Romagnolo said. "We're getting those opportunities, but now we need to focus on the end product."

The Big Green plays again this Friday at Burnham Field at 7 p.m. when it will take on the University of New Hampshire.

"It's an in-state battle," Romagnolo said. "We'll be really up for that game."