Women's soccer nets a pair of wins

Marina Moschitto '14 scored the opening goal for Dartmouth on Friday night against UNH. She added another on Sunday against Fordham.

The Granite State Cup was a battle from the beginning, with both teams launching long balls over the back lines. The game was physical and neither team settled into a rhythm from the start.

Midway through the first half, Dartmouth finally took control, heavily pressuring the Wildcat defense and sending multiple balls across the UNH penalty area. Tasha Wilkins '15 almost scored twice in a matter of minutes on two well-placed crosses.

The Big Green continued to pressure, and the Wildcats finally broke with 23 seconds remaining in the half as Marina Moschitto '14 netted for the first time this season. Moschitto received a pass and dribbled past two New Hampshire defenders before drilling a shot into the upper right corner of the goal.

"Marina's goal was really crucial for us," midfielder Chrissy Lozier '14 said. "It gave us a lot of momentum in second half. We went into halftime really fired up and talked about building on our momentum and coming out firing."

Dartmouth continued its dominance in the second half, peppering the New Hampshire goal with shots while allowing no Wildcat scoring opportunities.

In the 70th minute, Wilkins was able to capitalize on a loose ball in the UNH penalty area for her first goal of the season. Sixteen minutes later, Lozier secured a Big Green win with a header into the back of the net on a cross from Libby Hamlin '13.

Dartmouth outshot New Hampshire 18-5 on the night and allowed no shots in the second half. Goalkeeper Tatiana Saunders '15 made three saves and recorded her first shutout of the season.

Lozier credited the defense with beginning multiple offensive attacks that have resulted in goals this year.

"The defense has really helped with our overall success," Lozier said. "One of our focuses has been playing defense all over the field, regardless if we're on defense or attack. A lot of our attack is coming from our defense."

On Sunday, Dartmouth got off to an impressive start, scoring three goals in the first 26 minutes of the game. At first, it looked as though Fordham had control of the match, firing three shots at Saunders within the first two minutes of play. But the Rams' pressure did not last long, as Dartmouth seized control of the game with three goals in a 15-minute stretch.

Corey Delaney '16 was the first to get the Big Green on the board. At the 11-minute mark, Delaney received a pass from Emma Brush '13 at the top of the penalty area, turned and fired the ball into the upper left corner of the goal. It was Delaney's first goal of the season.

Two minutes later Brush started another scoring play, sending a pass to Moschitto, who sent the ball past keeper Rachel Suther on the half-volley.

Up 2-0, the Big Green did not let down and continued to pressure the Fordham defense. Brush fired two shots in the next four minutes that just missed the right post and crossbar. Although the Rams trailed by two goals, they did not quit as the game became more physical, with multiple fouls called on both teams.

In the 26th minute, Dartmouth was awarded a penalty kick for a handball, and Lozier capitalized on the opportunity, giving the Big Green a 3-0 lead.

Moschitto explained that, in recent matches, the Big Green has focused on refining its style of play, generating offense from the wings.

"One of the things that our team has recognized is that we're a very strong team when we go out wide and cross into middle," Moschitto said. "The forwards take the ball out wide and we get a lot of people in the box."

Trailing by three goals, Fordham made a goalkeeper change in the beginning of the second half. Although the Big Green continued to find scoring opportunities and fire shots, Dartmouth did not score again.

Dartmouth dominated the game both offensively and defensively. The Big Green outshot the Rams 25-14 and won seven corner kicks to Fordham's three. Saunders had another great day in goal, recording five saves and her second shutout of the weekend.

Moschitto pointed to Dartmouth's offensive and defensive depth this season as a significant factor in the team's early success. Four different Big Green players scored over the weekend.

"We have a great team mentality this year," Moschitto said. "It really shows in the game when everyone gets the opportunity to play and capitalizes on the opportunity."

Romagnolo said she was pleased with the team effort this weekend.

"We have a lot of depth and a lot of people who can put the ball in the back of the net, which is exciting," she said. "That makes it difficult for other teams to mark us. It was a great team effort this weekend."

On Thursday, Dartmouth will be back in action when the women take on the New Jersey Institute of Technology before beginning Ivy League play at home against Brown University on Sunday. Both games will be played at Burnham Field.