Police arrest 17 over Green Key weekend

Hanover Police made 17 arrests and Safety and Security responded to 36 emergency calls over Green Key weekend, according to Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone and Director of Safety and Security and College Proctor Harry Kinne. The criminal activity was "a bit heavier than usual" and concentrated mostly on Friday night, according to Giaccone.

Most of Safety and Security's responses were to Good Samaritan calls made by Dartmouth students for intoxicated friends, Kinne said. Officers also stopped a number of students and alumni that appeared heavily intoxicated on their routine patrols around campus. Alcohol-related incidents accounted for 24 of Safety and Security's total responses over the weekend, according to Kinne.

Over the weekend, Hanover Police arrested three people that were over the age of 21 and 14 people that were under the age of 21, Giaccone said. Half of the underage people that were arrested are students at the College and half were visitors to campus for the weekend, he said. Most of the arrests were cases in which the arrested individuals were held overnight and scheduled to attend the Alcohol Diversions Programs, Giaccone said.

The department additionally received calls about three sexual assaults over the weekend, one for an incident that occurred 30 years ago and two for incidents that occurred over the weekend. The department does not currently have the names of the suspects involved in the recent incidents but is looking into several leads, Giaccone said.

Last year, Hanover Police "dealt with" 17 individuals, most of whom were intoxicated, but not all were arrested, Giaccone said at the time. No students were arrested in 2010 after a Hanover Police policy change in April 2010, which stated that officers accompanying ambulances no longer automatically arrested underage drinkers, who are instead given seven days to enroll in the Alcohol Diversions Program before the police add a citation to their record. Hanover Police arrested 11 students in both 2008 and 2009.

Safety and Security received its first call at 8:35 a.m. on Friday morning about a male student naked from the waist down walking on Webster Avenue and trying to get inside a vehicle outside of Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity, Kinne said.

"By the time we arrived, the individual had fallen asleep on a couch inside Tri-Kap," Kinne said. "The student was taken to Dick's House."

At 6:37 p.m. on Friday, Safety and Security responded to a vandalism incident when a male student jumped onto the hood of a car driving down Webster Avenue during Phi Delta Alpha fraternity's Block Party and dented its hood. The male student was not caught, Kinne said.

Safety and Security picked up two unconscious students from Collis Cafe on Friday between 7 and 9 p.m. and started to respond to Good Samaritan calls starting at 11:26 p.m. that night, Kinne said.

Throughout Friday and Saturday evenings, Safety and Security conducted routine checks at houses hosting registered parties, including Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity's "Gammapalooza" on Friday evening, where officers separated an escalating conflict between two male students inside the house, Kinne said.

"One of our officers saw a male student with his hands around another male's throat and officers at the scene were able to separate the two students and take them outside the house," Kinne said. "The individual responsible for the choking was very intoxicated and struggled with the officer, pulling him into the bushes."

Safety and Security called Hanover Police for assistance and found the student passed out in his room, Kinne said. He was transported to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, where he spent the night.

Throughout Friday evening and early Saturday morning, Safety and Security responded to 12 Good Samaritan calls, including one related to a male member of the Class of 2013 was observed urinating on the side of North Massachusetts Hall, Kinne said. Although the student attempted to flee the scene, officers were able to catch up to the student and bring him to Dick's House for the night, Kinne said.

Safety and Security only responded to a few calls for alcohol-related incidents throughout the day and early evening on Saturday, including a call from a female student who reported an alumnus yelling harassing remarks at her as she walked past Chi Gam, Kinne said.

At 10:25 p.m., Safety and Security received a call that several people were riding on top of the Big Green Bus as it drove down Webster Avenue and East and West Wheelock Streets, Kinne said. An officer responded to the scene and asked the driver to have the individuals come down from the top of the bus.

At 11:07 p.m., Safety and Security officers on patrol found a full keg in the area between Butterfield Hall and Beta Alpha Omega fraternity. It appeared to have been thrown on the ground, Kinne said.

"A male student from the Class of 2014 said that the keg had been taken from his pick-up truck," Kinne said. "However, the individual was being uncooperative, so the officers didn't return his keg to him."

At 12:14 p.m., officers responded to an emergency call at Psi Upsilon fraternity for a male visiting campus who had injured himself walking around outside the house's entrance, Kinne said.

The visitor had attempted to enter the fraternity without a Dartmouth ID card when the Psi U door monitors stopped him, according to Psi U President Christian Sherril '13. The brothers asked the visitor to locate the Dartmouth students with whom he had arrived in order to have them escort him inside, Sherril said.

"The brothers did what they were supposed to do," Sherril said. "They were not harsh but they were firm with the guy and wouldn't let him inside until he could get in touch with his friends."

The individual became increasingly belligerent and tried to punch one of the brothers at the door, at which point the brothers escorted the non-student off the fraternity's steps, Sherril said. The young man continued trying to contact his friends, but he fell and appeared to injure his head while walking around outside the fraternity.

One of the door monitors was a Ski Patrol member and began providing primary care, Sherril said. At this point, Sherril called Safety and Security and the visitor was transported to DHMC.

Safety and Security responded to a total of three Good Samaritan calls and picked up two intoxicated students who were taken to Dick's House on their regular patrols on Saturday night, Kinne said.

At 3:38 a.m. on Sunday, Safety and Security officers discovered two individuals who had broken into the Dartmouth boathouse, Kinne said. While they both identified themselves as students the male as a member of the Class of 2012 the officers determined that the female was a not a student.

"Both individuals were heavily intoxicated and the male student was taken to Dick's House," Kinne said. "The female had a Dartmouth student ID with her but it turned out not to be her ID, so she was turned over to the Hanover Police."