Men's lacrosse falls in Ivy finale

The men's lacrosse team finishes its season on Tuesday against the College of the Holy Cross at Scully-Fahey Field.

Due to a quick offense and superior goalkeeping from Fergus Campbell '12, the Big Green made quick work of the Catamounts (2-12, 1-4 America East) on Tuesday. Drew Tunney '12 starred in the first quarter, notching an assist on a goal by Chris Costabile '13 under five minutes into the game before scoring a goal six minutes later off of a Kip Dooley '12 assist.

The first quarter was an even frame, with both UVM and Dartmouth notching numerous scoring chances during periods of extended possession. With just over a minute left in the quarter, the Catamounts got on the board and cut the Dartmouth lead in half. The shots in the first quarter were nine to eight in favor of UVM, but Campbell was solid between the pipes with five saves. The Big Green had the advantage in ground balls, six to five.

Despite the Catamounts' domination of face-offs and forced six Big Green turnovers, Dartmouth dominated the scoreboard in the second frame, winning the frame by five goals. Campbell added four saves, increasing his total to nine in the first half.

Just under four minutes into the second, Costabile scored his second goal of the game to restore the Big Green's two-goal lead. Dooley added a goal just under two minutes later, and the Big Green tallied three more in under three minutes to put the game out of reach. Tunney, Thomas Mattimore '12 and Nikki Dysenchuk '13 all pitched in during the run, with Dysenchuk's goal coming on a man-advantage.

The Catamounts upped the pressure in the third quarter in an attempt to claw back into the game, but Campbell was up to the task, turning away two of the four Catamount shots on cage in the frame. The defense also stood tall in the face of 10 UVM shots. The Catamounts scored twice in the first two minutes but could not cut into the lead any more.

The fourth quarter brought much of the same. The Catamounts scored twice in the first minute to cut the Big Green lead to two, but Dartmouth picked it up, scoring the next three goals. Campbell was again spectacular, stopping four shots in the final frame. The shot battle was close, but the Big Green dominated the turnover battle, forcing seven.

After two quick goals by UVM, Costabile put the Big Green up three with a hat-trick goal. The next goal was not scored until the 1:42 mark, when the Catamounts began taking defensive risks. Colin Delaney '12 and Dysenchuk iced the game with two late goals.

Standouts of the game included Campbell, who posted 15 saves; Costabile, who scored a hat trick; Dooley, who had one goal and four assists; and Tunney, who had two goals and three assists. Dysenchuk had two goals, and Mattimore and Delaney had one each. Mattimore pitched in an assist, as did Jake Weil '15.

"Fergus came up huge for us against UVM," Colin Heffernan '15 said. "It was getting to the point where he was making ridiculous saves look routine."

Dartmouth could not carry its momentum from Tuesday into Saturday's game against Brown (7-7, 3-3 Ivy).

The Bears came out hot, dominating the shot and the ground ball battles in the first quarter. Campbell notched four saves in the frame and nine overall, bringing his career total to 499, fifth on Dartmouth's all-time list. Campbell, however, was upstaged by Brown netminder Will Round, who stopped 12 Big Green shots in the game.

Brown scored on a fast break just 17 seconds into the game. The Big Green pulled even on a goal by Brendan Rotanz '14, who got back on the scoresheet after his 11-game goal streak was snapped against Vermont. Brown scored two goals in the next two minutes, however, as the Big Green continued to suffer face-off woes. Patrick Resch '14 cut the lead back to one, but Brown re-established its two-goal lead just 11 seconds later on a fast break rebound. The 4-2 scoreline held for the rest of the quarter.

A fast break goal 30 seconds into the second was followed by another less than two minutes later. Mattimore scored to cut the Brown lead to three before the teams traded fast break goals, with Dooley scoring the fourth Big Green goal. Tunney added a man-up goal at the 3:35 mark to cut the Brown lead to two, but the Bears extended their lead back to three with under three minutes left in the half.

The Big Green picked up the pressure in the third, ripping 10 shots on the cage, but Dartmouth could only net one goal as the Brown keeper stopped five. Just over three minutes into the second half, Brown scored to go up by five, but the Big Green answered back two minutes later on Rotanz' second of the game.

The Big Green again amped up the pressure in the fourth but could only cut the lead by one, despite the team's eight shots.

At the 9:39 mark, Costabile brought the lead to just two, but Brown responded four minutes later. Dooley scored with 18 seconds left, but it was too little, too late for the Big Green, as Dartmouth fell, 10-8, in its final Ivy contest of the season.

Dooley was the top scorer for the Big Green, with two goals and two assists, while Rotanz pitched in two goals as well. Mattimore added a goal and an assist, and Costabile, Resch and Tunney rounded out the scoring in the game. Weil added an assist for the second consecutive game in the losing effort.

The team's final game is Tuesday, when Dartmouth hosts the College of the Holy Cross at Scully-Fahey Field for senior day.

"It's the last game for the seniors," Heffernan said. "We're going to go out there and have fun because we have nothing to lose. It's not like our Ivy League record is on the line, so we're just going to go out and try to win one for the seniors. They've been an incredible group of leaders for us, and we'll miss them next year."

Dooley is a member of The Dartmouth Staff.