Dodecaphonics' Spring Sing welcomes Princeton's Nassoons

Courtesy of Dartmouth
Courtesy of Dartmouth

"In my time at Dartmouth, we have never done a single show with the Aires," Monahon said. "But we are really close friends with a lot of them, and we thought that it would be an awesome opportunity to go big' for our first show in a long time together."

The Aires, who are also preparing for the annual New Musics celebration "Song and Sound" on May 1, are equally as excited for an opportunity to perform with the Dodecaphonics.

"I think it's an awesome opportunity for two powerhouse a cappella groups to perform together," Nick Cunha '15, a member of the Aires, said. "I'm really stoked about the collaboration."

The Dodecaphonics have been preparing intensively for this show since the beginning of the term, according to Monahon. Although they usually rehearse three times a week, they have held several additional rehearsals over the past few weeks to fully prepare for the show.

The members of the group have arranged and learned an entirely new set of seven songs in a month, musical director Abby Yazbak '14 said.

The group will be performing a wide range of music and utilizing their unique coed makeup to highlight duets that feature both male and female voices. Their set will feature songs by popular artists like Maroon 5, Gavin DeGraw and Lady Antebellum.

Like the Aires, the Nassoons are also an all-male a cappella group, but they have a very different musical style.

"We are very excited to be coming up for Spring Sing," Nassoons President Chris Brownell said. "We will be performing a sampling from across many years of Nassoon history, including several songs from our early years a jazz standard and a Nassoon original from the 1940s and '50s and a couple more recent arrangements, like a song from the 2006 Academy Award-winning film "Once" [2006]. Rumor has it we might even break out some Beyonce."

The older members of the Dodecaphonics have been particularly instrumental in organizing Spring Sing, according to Monahon. Unlike performances in a fraternity or sorority, there is a lot more organization and effort put into a production of Spring Sing, she said. Performing in Spaulding Auditorium poses different challenges, for instance, since it has much more precise acoustics, so the group has to ensure their singing is perfectly coordinated, according to Yazbak, who is responsible for the group's sound.

"In Spaulding, you can showcase arrangements where you can hear each singer's part," Monahon said. "The soloist can also be softer and more expressive, which you might not be able to pick up on in a fraternity [performance]."

The show will feature soloists from each class to highlight the group's different talents and sounds, according to Phoebe Bodurtha '15, who will be singing a solo at the show.

"I'm really excited for the concert and to perform with the group at Spaulding," she said. "We've been working really hard, and I think we sound great as a group."

The group also filmed a video of a short comedy sketch, which will be shown between the singing acts to provide a break from the singing and add humor to the performance, Monahon said.

The Dodecaphonics have also been working on their newest CD this term, "Hooked on Dodecaphonics," which is scheduled to be released in May, according to business manager Evan Gelfand '13.

"It's a great CD with some arrangements that Dartmouth students might be more familiar with over those they'll hear on Saturday night," he said. "We'll be taking pre-orders after Spring Sing."

Spring Sing will also be the last time that the seven seniors in the group perform on the Spaulding stage together, so it will be a strongly sentimental performance for the Dodecaphonics, according to Bodurtha.

"Coming to Spring Sing is a really good way to see the seniors being amazing in a really great setting for one of their last performances," Bodurtha said. "I think it's going to be a really fun show we're doing new music, and so are the Aires."

Acosta is a member of The Dartmouth Staff.