Big Green to challenge UVM in Carnival races

After losing to the University of Vermont for the past two years at the annual Dartmouth Carnival, the Dartmouth ski team hopes to finally take first place this year. The races will be held at the Dartmouth Skiway and in Stowe, Vt. Feb. 11-12.

The team welcomes University of New Hampshire, UVM, Bates College, Colby College, Middlebury College, Williams College, Boston College, Harvard University, Plymouth State University and St. Lawrence University to the event, which is the Big Green's only home event of the year.

Following a string of second-place finishes to the University of Vermont early in the carnival circuit, the Dartmouth ski team soundly defeated the host Catamounts and everyone else last weekend at the Vermont Carnival in Stowe, demonstrating the Big Green has what it takes to contend for an NCAA title.

Since the Dartmouth Carnival is the team's only home race of the year, the Big Green hopes to have a good showing in front of home fans.

"It's one of the most well-attended carnivals, between community members, students and parents," women's alpine captain Sabrina Chiasson '12 said. "Being able to hear them cheering from halfway up the hill is really cool. The best part about skiing at home and Dartmouth Carnival is that you get to share your sport with everyone."

The team knows it will take all of their talent and effort to return to their past glory and build toward nationals, Chiasson said.

"On an individual level, Dartmouth Carnival is a great opportunity to improve your standings and qualify for nationals," Chiasson said. "On a team level, every weekend is important."

Competing at the Dartmouth Skiway provides not only a motivational advantage, but also a tactical advantage because the team trains at the mountain.

"Racing at home gives us a significant advantage," Chiasson said. "We know the terrain better than anyone."

Despite this advantage, many teams from other schools love skiing at Dartmouth, according to Chiasson. She said that this is a credit to the great Carnival tradition.

The Dartmouth Carnival is over 100 years old and is the reason that Winter Carnival, which is in its 101st year, was founded.

"There's so much history and tradition here," Chiasson said. "Carnival is why Winter Carnival started and it's so amazing to participate in the marquee event."

While many students will be participating in events such as the Polar Bear Swim, the team will be racing.

"The ski race is our Winter Carnival," Chiasson said.

The team attended yesterday's Opening Ceremonies, where they were recognized by College President Jim Yong Kim.

The team also will host many events for friends and alumni of Dartmouth Skiing throughout the weekend.

"It's important to be a part of such a longstanding tradition," Chiasson said.

The team is looking to build momentum for the rest of the season at the Carnival, hoping to improve upon its third place finish nationally last year.

We're going into our carnival on a high note with lots of confidence," Ben Morse '14, who won the giant slalom and placed second in the slalom last weekend, said. "Hopefully we can get some positive race vibes, get on multiple podiums and win overall."

Several of UVM's top downhillers skipped the Vermont Carnival race over the weekend, so the Big Green's result at Winter Carnival this coming weekend should serve as a good measure of the team's progression this far into the carnival circuit.

"We're fired up," Morse said.