Women's hockey posts undefeated road trip to begin 2012

01.09.12.sports.whockeyHORIZ
01.09.12.sports.whockeyHORIZ

The Big Green was not intimidated by the 13-win Bobcats despite playing on Quinnipiac's (13-8-2, 9-3-2 ECAC) home ice. Dartmouth (8-5-2, 5-3-2 ECAC) dominated the first period, notching 15 shots to the Bobcats' three. Goalie Lindsay Holdcroft '14 turned these shots away easily, allowing the offense to go to work.

Dartmouth's offense exploded out of the gates for two goals in the first 1:04 of the period. Camille Dumais '13 was able to weave through the defense to score her sixth goal of the season within the first minute of the game. Erica Dobos '12 got in on the action as well, scoring another unassisted goal just 27 seconds later.

"We were ready from the drop of the puck," Kelly Foley '12 said. "The early goals were huge against a good goalie like Quinnipiac's."

Holdcroft, speaking from experience, agreed scoring early is very important.

"Having an early lead always takes the pressure off," Holdcroft said. "It's a huge confidence boost to me and the team."

In the second period, however, the tide turned as Quinnipiac notched 14 shots compared to Dartmouth's five. Holdcroft's goaltending and the rest of the defense turned back most of the Bobcats' attacks, but Quinnipiac was able to cut the Big Green's lead in half with a power play goal with seven minutes remaining in the period.

Holdcroft made several scrambling saves in the frame. Her teammates also came up big, forcing outside shots and blocking many of them.

The third period was evenly matched as Quinnipiac managed 10 shots compared to the Big Green's nine. Dartmouth pulled ahead within the first two minutes of the period after the Big Green went on a power play due to a tripping penalty against the Bobcats. Margaux Sharp '13 passed the puck off to Sasha Nanji '13, who was able to find Jenna Hobeika '12 for what would prove to be a crucial goal in the game.

The Bobcats managed to score again with just over three minutes left in the game to again cut Dartmouth's lead in half. Holdcroft was up to the task of closing out the game, recording 25 saves and her sixth win of the season.

"It was our most important non-Ivy win so far," Foley said. "It was a huge way to start off our ECAC stretch. We deserved the win because we battled the whole game."

On Saturday, the Big Green traveled to New Jersey to play Princeton (7-9-4, 6-6-2 ECAC). This game proved even more volatile than the Quinnipiac game, with 16 penalties and 73 shots recorded between the teams.

"There were a few make-up calls," Foley said. "There were definitely some big hits, though. [Head coach] Mark [Hudak] had to remind us that this wasn't men's hockey."

Although the Big Green outshot the Tigers in the first period, Dartmouth failed to score. With just over a minute left in the period, Princeton was able to notch the game's first goal.

Both teams notched eleven shots in the second period but ran into spectacular goalie play. With just under three minutes left in the period, Foley rounded the face-off circle and sent the puck sailing over the Tigers' goalie's shoulder to tie the game. The goal was Foley's 11th on the season.

About halfway through a penalty-filled third period, the Tigers were able to slide a goal past Holdcroft while on a power play. With the play of both goalies, this deficit looked almost insurmountable for the Big Green.

With just over two minutes left in the game, however, Sharp got the puck and saw Reagan Fischer '12 streaking through the neutral zone. She sent her the puck and Fischer nimbly managed to stay onside. She came in on the Princeton goalie untouched and roofed the puck to tie the game.

Neither team was able to beat the goalies in the final two minutes, sending the game to overtime.

In the extra frame, the Big Green had the shot advantage, but was unable to score. Foley saved the game for the Big Green with a butterfly save of her own with only ten seconds left to play in overtime, according to Holdcroft.

The game ended in a tie, with the Big Green recording 41 shots. Holdcroft had another big game with 30 saves.

"We should have done a better job capitalizing on our chances," Foley said, adding that the team was still happy with the tie.

The Big Green will travel to Fenway Park to take on Providence College on Tuesday before returning home next weekend to play Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Union College.