Track and field teams both win meet

01.20.12.sports.track2
01.20.12.sports.track2

The men fought hard to top Maine, who finished just two points behind at 62. The meet came down to the 4x800-meter relay late in the day, which the Big Green won by two seconds at 8:02.49.

The Dartmouth men took the top four spots in the 3,000-meter run, with John Bleday '14 coming in first at 8:16.06. Matt Miner '12 followed closely behind in second with a time of 8:23.29.

In the 1,000-meter run, Will Geoghegan '14 and Will Callan '15 finished first (2:30.84) and second (2:33.13), respectively.

Jalil Bishop '14 set a strong tone for the men in the 200-meter dash, winning with a time of 22.87. His teammates held four of the top-10 places.

Bishop also finished second in the 400-meter dash with a time of 51.27.

Tyrone DeSpenza '13 qualified in first place for the 60-meter dash, and then went on to finish second overall with a time of 7.00. DeSpenza also finished third in the long jump.

In the closest finish all day, Jacob Evanter '13 fought for the top spot in the 60-meter hurdles. He beat the opposition's 8.46 finish with his time of 8.45.

Dom Filiano '14 took first in the shot put, with Tom Vorhies '13 and Brett Gilson '13 winning fourth and fifth, respectively, for the Big Green.

The women won the meet decisively, with Maine finishing in second by almost 20 points with a score of 52.50 points.

Megan Krumpoch '14 defended her title as DartmouthSports.com's Athlete of the Week with a first place win in the 400-meter dash for the second week in a row. Christina Supino '12 finished closely behind Krumpoch's time of 58.49 and took second with a time of 59.28.

Despite being the only Big Green runner in the 500-meter race, Maggie Donovan '15 won with a time of 1:18.02.

Caroline Buck '13 and Christine Bub '13 also ran well as the only two Dartmouth runners in the 800-meter run, finishing in first (2:21.91) and second (2:21.91), respectively.

Buck is a member of The Dartmouth Staff.

The 1000-meter race featured more top finishes from Dartmouth, with April O'Brien '13 and Claire Arthur '14 placing second and third, respectively. Jilian Corcoran '15 finished fifth.

In the field, the Big Green took the top six spots in the shot put as well as three of the top six places in the weight throw. Cathy Liebowitz '15 placed in both events, winning first in the weight throw and fifth in the shot put.

Erica Hendershot '15 finished first for Dartmouth in the triple jump, with teammate Joy Piotrowski '13 placing second.

Dartmouth also saw success in the long jump. Berkeley Hall '14 earned first place as Lauren Ready '15 and Marina Plesons '15 finished third and fifth, respectively. Plesons also finished third in the pole vault.

Captain Alexi Pappas '12 said the team was pleased with its first-place finish, even without the full squad racing. She also noted her excitement for the meet against Columbia and Yale this coming weekend.

"Last weekend was not as competitive as this weekend will be," Pappas said. "We're really excited about this weekend, when everyone will be racing and there will be high competition."

This weekend will exhibit a level of skill that the track and field teams have yet to experience this season. Last year, this same meet took place in New York City, and the Big Green fell hard at the hands of Columbia and Yale.

"They crushed us in this meet last year," Pappas said. "We didn't perform how we wanted to."

This year, however, Pappas said she foresees a different outcome due to a home field advantage. Pappas said her teammates have the potential for top finishes in most of the events.

"I think that our best girls are better than their best girls," she said.

An excellent team workout on Tuesday proved that the team is motivated and energized for this weekend, according to Pappas.

"It was the best workout our whole team has done this school year," she said.

Solid, energetic practices like this are reflective of the overall team spirit, Pappas said.

"In general, the girls team has had a lot more spirit and energy lately, so I think there's more motivation to do well," she said.