Three goaltenders split time in net for Big Green

01.12.12.sports.mhockey
01.12.12.sports.mhockey

"Goaltending is not the most ideal spot," Dartmouth goaltender James Mello '12 said. "It's just a tough position because there is only one person who can be playing in that position at a time. If you aren't necessarily giving your team the best chance, someone else will. We have three fully capable goalies."

After playing in only one game his freshman season, Mello now earns the majority of the playing time. Goaltender Jody O'Neill '12, who played in 30 out of 31 games his freshman season, has seen time in only three so far this season.

Back from an injury that disrupted his freshman year and allowed him to play in only one game, goalie Cab Morris '14 has also recently earned time this season as a starter in five contests.

These goalie changes both throughout the season and over the past few years may have introduced some inconsistency onto the ice, according to Mello.

"Hopefully it isn't wavering [the team's] style of play one way or the other," he said. "They should be playing their game regardless of who is in net. I feel like we give our team chances to win on every given night, but at the same time, it is nice to have a steady anchor back there."

Starting the five most recent games this season, Morris currently boasts a 3-1-1 record, .902 save percentage and 2.99 goals against average. He was also recently named the ECAC Hockey Goalie of the Month for December.

At 6'4", Morris is taller than both the 5'9" Mello and 6'0" O'Neill.

"[Morris] is a big goaltender ... so he plays a different style," Mello said. "He likes to control and manage the game. He's done a hell of a job thus far this season. I'm optimistic for the future."

Mello, who has earned 52.9 percent of playing time so far this season, posts a .898 save percentage and a 2.99 GAA.

His statistics this year are slightly less than last season, when he notched a .926 save percentage and a 2.21 GAA. Mello was awarded first team All-Ivy and second-team All-ECAC honors for the 2010-11 season.

Mello also saw more time on the ice last season than this year, playing in 84.3 percent of games.

"Coming in freshman year and the first half of sophomore year, I didn't get as much ice time as I had hoped," Mello said. "Instead of being discouraged, I persevered and eventually got my chance to be the starter here for a while. It's been an up-and-down roller coaster ride, and I've enjoyed every minute of it."

Like Mello and Morris, O'Neill has also experienced a bumpy road so far on the Big Green ice.

"It's an interesting position because when the goalie messes up, all eyes are on you," O'Neill said. "But at the same time, when you do well, people notice that too. Everything you do is magnified."

Jumping out to a strong start of his Dartmouth career, O'Neill earned 94.4 percent of playing time during the 2008-9 season. He received the Ivy League and ECAC Rookie of the Year awards due to his impressive .926 save percentage and 2.61 GAA.

Mello and Dan Goulding '09 each played in only one game that season.

During the 2009-10 season, O'Neill and Mello split playing time, earning 55.5 percent and 47.1 percent, respectively. Mello started receiving more ice time as the season progressed. Charles Corsi '13, the team's third goalie at the time, played in only one game that season and is no longer on the team.

In the past two seasons, O'Neill has received minimal playing time compared to his freshman season.

"It's tough," O'Neill said. "You want to play and you want the team to do well. You just have to be ready because you never know when your number is going to get called."

O'Neill also spoke of his supportive role on the team, both on and off the ice.

"Whenever the team needs me, I want to be there for them," he said. "If I need to be more of a support guy or if some guys want to do extra work, I'll be there to help them out."