Big Green women's hockey team earns consecutive victories

01.18.12.sports.hockey
01.18.12.sports.hockey

The Big Green dominated each game statistically but struggled to finish its opportunities. RPI's size advantage and Union's schemes both contributed to the Engineers' and Dutchwomen's stingy defense. The Big Green also had to rally from behind in both games, as both of its opponents were able to score first.

"It's great to comebwack, but we never want to go down," Erica Dobos '12 said.

Dobos added that comebacks give the team confidence because they prove that the players can keep their composure and conquer adversity.

These games marked the fifth and sixth for the team in the last 12 days, a pace which has fatigued the players.

"It's hard to stay as motivated and excited when you're on a stretch like this," Kelly Foley '12 said, noting that she was glad that the team has been up to the challenge.

The Big Green fell into a 1-0 hole against RPI just over halfway through the first period but rallied and tied the game with just under 1:30 in the frame. Despite the misstep by the Dartmouth defense, the Big Green dominated the period, outshooting the Engineers eight to three.

Dartmouth tied the game just 11 seconds into a power play. Camille Dumais '13 received the puck in the corner and began to circle behind the net, looking for the opportune centering pass. She saw Foley bolting toward the net and tried to pass her the puck. The pass was deflected by an Engineer defenseman, but this change of course also confused the goaltender. Foley gathered the bouncing puck and sent it home for the goal.

In the second period, the Big Green tallied 19 shots, more than the Engineers could muster in the whole game. Despite this overwhelming advantage, the Big Green was only able to score one goal in the frame during a power play.

Moira Scanlon '12 sent the puck up to Jenna Hobeika '12 who beat a defender and created a two-on-one with Dumais, who buried the pass to give the Big Green the lead.

In the third, the Big Green took advantage of another power play opportunity to extend its lead to two. On the delayed call, goalie Lindsay Holdcroft '14, who also had 14 saves in the win, skated off the ice for the extra attacker. With the advantage, Foley slid the puck to Reagan Fischer '12 in front of the net. Fischer beat the RPI goalie for the 3-1 advantage.

The Engineers were able to cut the lead to one on their second deflection goal of the game, but were unable to claw closer thanks to Dartmouth's defense and Dobos putting the game out of reach with an empty-netter.

Despite her two-point effort, the RPI defense smothered Foley for most of the game.

"It's really frustrating because someone is always in your face," she said. "But if three people are focused on you, it means you have two teammates open."

Dobos added that the game was "physically and mentally draining."

The Big Green managed to score just three minutes into the game against Union. Karlee Odland '15 fired a shot at the net, which the Union goalie stopped but could not control. Dumais was there to cash in the rebound, diving at the puck and hitting it in.

Union, despite recent struggles, came out firing against the Big Green to score twice against goalie Katie Milligan '15 in the first period.

Despite trailing leading into the frame, the second belonged to the Big Green, who outshot the Dutchwomen 11-2 in the frame. Dartmouth tallied two goals to establish a lead the team would not give up.

Fischer came out firing in the second, apparently scoring a goal, which was later waved off by instant replay. The captain was determined to score, however, and finally did so at the 11:48 mark. Sasha Nanji '13 gave the Big Green the lead on a power play off of passes from Dobos and Foley.

The Big Green dominated the third as well, using defense to finish out the win. Milligan had 14 saves in the game and the Big Green notched 36 shots. Despite it's defensive successes in the games, Foley said the team must work on blocking shots and stopping rebound opportunities.

The Big Green is looking to build off the wins for its games this weekend against Colgate University and Cornell University.

"We try to learn from every game we play," Dobos said. "We learned how to play tough and physical this weekend, and that's definitely going to help us against Colgate and Cornell."