Women's hockey sweeps crucial set of ECAC match

11.14.11.sports.whockey
11.14.11.sports.whockey

Dartmouth (3-2-1, 3-0-1 ECAC) rolled into Ithaca, N.Y., on Friday as the clear underdog to its formidable challengers. Cornell (5-1-0, 4-1-0 ECAC), the second-ranked team in the country, had not yet lost a game this season.

Dartmouth started off strong, however, with a goal by Kelly Foley '12 just over three minutes into the game.

The Big Green did not let its foot off the gas and scored again seven minutes later on a goal by Ali Winkel '14, her first of the season. Dartmouth has blown multiple early leads this season, but seemed determined not to let up.

The Big Red scored to cut the deficit to one with just over two minutes left in the first period, but Camille Dumais '13 regained Dartmouth's two-goal advantage under a minute later, giving the Big Green a 3-1 lead at the conclusion of the first period.

Dartmouth started the second period flat, allowing the Big Red to tie the game with two quick goals, including one on the power play.

"We weren't surprised," Winkel said, referring to Cornell's performance. "They're a team with a lot of Olympic talent. We just kept pushing the pace and never gave up."

The Big Green won a power play with less than four minutes left in the period. Winkel netted her second goal of the game with three seconds to go on the advantage, giving the Big Green a 4-3 lead headed into the third. Foley assisted the goal en route to a three-point night and an overall solid performance.

The Big Green was unable to hold its lead, however, as Cornell scored less than five minutes into the third to re-tie the game.

Three minutes later, Reagan Fischer '12 passed the puck off to Sasha Nanji '13 in the corner. Nanji slid the puck across the crease through a myriad of sticks to Winkel, the self-described "digger" and "not prolific goal-scorer," who was sitting on the back post. Winkel buried the shot, capping her monster night and putting Dartmouth back on top. The goal marked the sophomore's first career hat trick and multi-point game.

Winkel said that recording a hat trick in such a big game and so early in the season was "unreal."

Cornell pulled its goaltender in the final two minutes to allow more Big Red offensive power, but Dartmouth was determined to hold on to its lead and ended the game with a 5-4 upset win.

Although the Big Red was missing two key contributors senior Rebecca Johnston and sophomore Brianne Jenner, who were away competing in the Four Nations Cup Cornell was still a very tough team and a "huge win" for the Big Green, Abbie Lund '15 said. The Big Green's domination of the Big Red "was a surprise at first," but players began to believe they could pull off a win against the top-ranked team as the game progressed, Winkel said.

Dartmouth played spectacular defense, holding the Big Red which has averaged over 49 shots per game this season to only 28 shots. The Big Green offense also stepped up, recording 26 shots. Dartmouth converted twice on the power play, and held Cornell off the scoreboard on the advantage four out of five times.

Dartmouth traveled to Hamilton, N.Y., to face Colgate (4-7-1, 1-3-1 ECAC) on Saturday night. The team carried its momentum from Friday night, scoring two first-period goals and holding on for a 2-0 win.

Dumais put the Big Green on the board just over a minute into the game with her third goal of the season. She artfully directed a shot by Morgan Illikainen '15 from the point into the back of the net for a goal.

Just after the Big Green finished a power play, captain Jenna Hobeika '12 netted her second goal of the year. Dumais and Illikainen both assisted the goal, punctuating their big nights on the ice. Saturday night was Illikainen's first multi-point game of her college career.

The rest of the game was wrought with penalties, as the two teams combined to squander 14 power-play opportunities. The game was extremely "scrappy," according to Winkel, who said she welcomed a return to her favored style of play. The teams totaled eight checking-related penalties, including a game misconduct from a Colgate player for a hit from behind.

Dartmouth goaltender Lindsay Holdcroft '14 played well, earning her second shutout of the season with 20 saves.

Winkel said Dartmouth played worse than it did against Cornell despite getting the win.

"We could have played better in the defensive zone," she said.

As a result of its big weekend, the Big Green moved into a tie for third place in the Eastern College Hockey Association standings, and now trails first-place Quinnipiac University by just two points in the conference.

Dartmouth returns home next weekend to face St. Lawrence University on Friday night and Clarkson University on Saturday.