Vox Clamantis

I know I am hardly qualified to chime in on the debate around the new dining plan, but I am writing to take issue with last Wednesday's cartoon in The Dartmouth. Brian Flint's depiction of Director of Dining Services David Newlove took the argument in a very personal direction and to do so was unfair to Mr. Newlove. I wanted to say that in my previous life as a dean, I was one of the people who helped organize the Homecoming Bonfire and all of the events that surrounded the event. For a number of years, Mr. Newlove showed his generosity by supplying the construction crew with hot chocolate, hot water and cups, for days on end. On one occasion, students dropped and broke an expensive thermal carafe, but Mr. Newlove continued to provide for us in good faith, knowing that the event was important to us and that accidents do happen.

I do not want to inhibit the expression of dissatisfaction for something that is important to students, but I did want to ask that the conversation be kept civil. Change will come from open discourse and student activism, not from personal attacks on people who have spent years working hard to serve students.

Respectfully,

John PfisterAdjunct Senior LecturerPsychological and Brain Sciences