Now playing in Hanover: 'J. Edgar'

Directed by: Clint EastwoodStarring: DiCaprio, Hammer, Watts, Judi DenchRuntime: 137 minutesRated R

DiCaprio's scowling impersonation of Hoover is both dynamic and staggering. There are certain clumsy moments in the script and characters that fall flat, but a palpable tension permeates the film. Despite the unconvincing makeup used to age DiCaprio, the film is earnest in its depiction of a man responsible for history's fair share of controversy. The emotional power is somewhat subdued, but there are moments that tug at heartstrings. Jackie Wei

Despite the amazing pedigree of Eastwood and DiCaprio, the film does not match up to expectations. Halfway through, "J. Edgar" starts to ramble and remains muddled to the end. The film is overlong and plagued by the constant shifts in time. The main strength of the film lies in DiCaprio's acting, as he delivers a touching Citizen Kane-like performance, effortlessly aging from mid-20s to age 77. Even though it is a sure-bet for a Best Actor Oscar nomination, "J. Edgar" is just not worth 137 minutes of your time.

Rohail Premjee

"J. Edgar" is an underwhelming movie about a bizarre man. Despite boasting a fabulous cast, complex historical figures were rendered one-dimensional in the film, flattening an emotional and psychologically complex life story. The main point of the film was always unclear, as "J. Edgar" neither portrayed Hoover as an important and influential American figure nor fully delved into the main FBI case of the story, which invovled the abduction of Charles Lindbergh's son. The various aspects of Hoover's life and the context for the movie were Sarah Scully