Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
Support independent student journalism. Support independent student journalism. Support independent student journalism.
The Dartmouth
June 20, 2024 | Latest Issue
The Dartmouth

Briefly Noted

The Columbia University marching band was banned from the Columbia football team's final game of the season after chanting disparaging lyrics about the team in the Lions' game against Cornell University last weekend, The New York Times reported. Members of the band changed the lyrics to the Columbia fight song, mocking the team's 0-9 record. Band members chanted "we always lose, lose, lose/but we take solace in our booze," according to The Times. The band issued a statement apologizing to the Columbia community last week, stating that its members "accept the consequences and look forward to continue to be a part of our school spirit for future athletic events." The band was eventually allowed to perform at the game, and may have provided the team a stroke of luck as the Lions secured a surprising upset over Brown University for its first win of the season on Saturday.

Yale University is investigating whether head football coach Tom Williams lied on his resume, which states that he was a Rhodes Scholar candidate, according to The New York Times. The Times first reported on Wednesday that after contacting the Rhodes Trust, which awards the scholarships, there was no record of Williams every applying for the award when he graduated from Stanford University in 1992. The controversy came to light because of recent comparisons to Yale senior quarterback Patrick Witt, who is a finalist for the scholarship this year. Witt debated whether or not to play in last weekend's game against Harvard University one of the oldest rivalry games in the nation because the game conflicted with his Rhodes interview. Williams has since emphasized that his claims were misconstrued, asserting that he was never a finalist for the award and pulled himself out of the competition before the Rhodes Trust would have a record of him, according to The Times.

The Brown University men's soccer team won its first-round NCAA tournament match in dramatic fashion, scoring three goals in the last 16 minutes to defeat 35th-ranked Fairfield University. Both teams struggled with slippery conditions, but Fairfield managed to jump out to a 2-0 halftime lead despite Brown generally controlling the pace of the game. The Bears' constant pressure finally paid off, as Brown scored two goals in 40 seconds to tie the game with less than 10 minutes remaining. The winner came with just five minutes left in the game, as Brown took advantage of a poorly-executed clear to complete the comeback. The Bears continued their run by defeating St. John's University on Sunday night, 1-0, with a second-half goal by sophomore Dylan Remick. Brown will next play against St. Mary's College in its third-round matchup on Nov. 27.