Volleyball team falls to Lions before dominating Cornell

10.17.11.sports.volley
10.17.11.sports.volley

Despite an initial two-set lead over Columbia (11-6, 5-2 Ivy), which had won seven of eight games heading into the matchup, the Big Green lost its momentum in the following two sets.

"Our passing and digging fell apart, and we weren't as strong as we were in the first and second game," Madeline Baird '12 said.

Dartmouth would not recover as Columbia went on to win the fifth and final set.

When Dartmouth took an 8-5 lead in the set, Columbia called a strategic timeout and returned to win five of the next seven points. With the score tied at 10, Lucia Pohlman '15 made two kills in the next three points to give Dartmouth a 12-11 lead.

Refusing to yield, Columbia stole the next three points, which solidifed its win at 14-12. Although a kill from Alex Schoenberger '15 brought Dartmouth within one, Columbia sophomore Madeline Rumer made a kill to deliver the win to the Lions.

Columbia hit .235 for the match compared to Dartmouth's .213, and Columbia's front line of blockers proved problematic for the Big Green, totaling 13 blocks. Baird added that Dartmouth's serving game was poor during the Friday matchup.

"We missed a lot of serves, and we stopped getting points on our serve," she said.

Schoenberger, Baird, Pohlman and co-captain Annie Villanueva '12 all amassed at least 14 kills each. Baird also recorded a double-double with 24 digs. Alissa Santa Maria '13 contributed 16 digs and co-captain Amber Bryant '12 contributed 14.

Dartmouth came out the next evening ready to redeem its record. Its efforts proved successful in a quick 3-0 win over Cornell (4-15, 1-6 Ivy).

"I think it's a testament to the character of our team that we were able to come back from a heartbreaker on Saturday and take care of business on Sunday," Villanueva said.

The Big Green won in straight sets, 25-19, 25-22, 25-17. Baird, Villanueva and Meghan Cooney '14 all registered double-digit kills. Santa Maria earned 36 assists and Bryant totaled 18 digs.

The first set started out close, as Cornell brought the score within one at 16-15. Dartmouth, however, remained strong and ultimately went on a 9-4 run to win the set.

The second set proved the closest, with 15 ties and seven lead changes. Cornell and Dartmouth were even at 22-22, but a Cornell attack error and two kills by Baird ended the set.

Much like the first set, the third remained close in the beginning until the Big Green pulled away with a 7-2 run.

"I think we came out strong and we were well-prepared for their attack," Baird said. "We played defense really well and our blocking was good all game."

The Big Green plays Harvard University on Saturday at 6 p.m. in Hanover.

Dartmouth beat Harvard, 3-2, in the teams' last encounter. The team is optimistic about the match, Kendall Houston '12 said.

"If we come out with the same competitiveness and determination that we showed this weekend and execute our game plan, we should win," she said.